Women's In-Tournament Training II

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training II

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:24 am

We seem to be drifting a little so please keep on track people
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:29 am

I think this got brought up previously and then somewhat lost in amongst the many messages on prt.1 of this thread. How did the training go, and are there any plans to implement something similar in other events?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 am

Louise Sinclair wrote:
It still took up far less space than your many posts regarding your work for the North Circular Chess League so forgive me for responding to someone.
Au contraire I wasn't posting about my work but the tourney itself - indeed I don't do much work in chess these days. However you post a regular detailed resume to keep your fans updated.
Nothing to do with fans, it's just doing my job by reporting international news.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:48 am

LozCooper wrote:Nothing to do with fans, it's just doing my job by reporting international news.
You glory seeker :D

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 am

benedgell wrote:I think this got brought up previously and then somewhat lost in amongst the many messages on prt.1 of this thread. How did the training go, and are there any plans to implement something similar in other events?
The feedback I received from girls, parents and coaches was very positive. I'll leave it to others to publicise future events but I'm fairly sure this won't be a one off :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 am

Louise Sinclair wrote:However you post a regular detailed resume to keep your fans updated.
This rather childish addition helped in what way to the conversation do you think?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 pm

:P I am a big 'fan' of Loz , technically he helped me meet one of my team who I like quite a bit :lol:

So I am a big fan of his :wink:
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:50 pm

Ben Purton wrote::P I am a big 'fan' of Loz , technically he helped me meet one of my team who I like quite a bit :lol:

So I am a big fan of his :wink:

Haha - I wonder which team"mate" that is ;)

Yes, I would like to thank Loz for the support to women's chess. The trianing did indeed do well and he helped publicise it helped some girls out who couldn't afford it.

We would definitely like to do more in the future. All the feedback was amazingly positive.

I am just glad that the girls said they had fun at the weekend!!! That's a big achievement in itself!

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:However you post a regular detailed resume to keep your fans updated.

This rather childish addition helped in what way to the conversation do you think?
My apologies Carl - childisness seems to be contagious on forums. I must avoid getting caught up in it
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:May I just say that the bottom line is that the organiser charges entry fees, or waives them, as they see fit. It's nobody else's business who they let in for free or at a discount, or even who they pay, or how much they pay. If you object strongly then you are free to play in another tournament! I suspect nobody feels that strongly.
Maybe a bit too sweeping where differential fees are being charged on the basis of legally protected characteristics such as race, sex or age. In these cases, as Sean has already indicated, the organiser probably needs to have some such justification as encouraging greater participation by an under represented group.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:May I just say that the bottom line is that the organiser charges entry fees, or waives them, as they see fit. It's nobody else's business who they let in for free or at a discount, or even who they pay, or how much they pay. If you object strongly then you are free to play in another tournament! I suspect nobody feels that strongly.
Maybe a bit too sweeping where differential fees are being charged on the basis of legally protected characteristics such as race, s*x or age. In these cases, as Sean has already indicated, the organiser probably needs to have some such justification as encouraging greater participation by an under represented group.
Completely agreed. And who could object?

;-)
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Maybe a bit too sweeping where differential fees are being charged on the basis of legally protected characteristics such as race, s*x or age. In these cases, as Sean has already indicated, the organiser probably needs to have some such justification as encouraging greater participation by an under represented group.
Completely agreed. And who could object?

;-)
As we're on the subject, I've long felt that Irish players are under-represented at Golders Green. Can I and my fellow Gaels look forward to free entry at a future event? Go on, I'm sure you don't want to be accused of being Hibernophobic. :wink:

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

If I wanted to play in a tourney where women were offered free entry I would pay the organiser the entry fee and tell him that if he didn't want to put it in the tourney funds to give it to charity.
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:32 pm

Sean ... I will also say AGAIN that my proposal was just an possible idea for the advancement of the game in general and that I NEVER said it could have either been used last weekend nor that it neccessarilly should be put into practice at any of your events in the future - the idea, if ever agreed to, was for possible use at ANY tournament. Yes, in your event there was no direct link between fees and coaching, but that doesn't mean that others else might not adopt such a scheme sometime ?

Adam ... Yes, I agree that organisers can use their money any way they wish; I was again just putting forward a possible idea for how that income could possibly be put to good use. People have been asked to give postitive suggestions and therefore I have done so. Some tournament organisers might not agree with it, yet some may think it's worth a try - just as Sean thought it was worth a try with his free entry initiative.

Loz .. following your posting of your CV, you since commented that "I only did it when someone said they had no knowledge of my involvement with women's chess." Can you copy where anyone actually said that, because I know that I all wrote was "I note that you (Loz/Ben) have so far not put forward any initiatives of your own for possible improvement of the situation" and then later clarified that, because you had been involved in clandestine discussions away from this forum, it was impossible for anyone to know if you made any such suggestions as it wasn't disclosed in here. I never questioned your involvement with womens' chess, I just stated that you hadn't given any such suggestions to the forum.

In a similar way, you won't know of my involvement 'behind the scenes' to hopefully advance the game of chess, but I won't list them all here, suffice to say that they are all done without any perks - not even any out-of-pocket expenses.

Again I will just say that my idea was just put forward as a suggestion, which some may agree with and some may not.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Loz .. following your posting of your CV, you since commented that "I only did it when someone said they had no knowledge of my involvement with women's chess." Can you copy where anyone actually said that, because I know that I all wrote was "I note that you (Loz/Ben) have so far not put forward any initiatives of your own for possible improvement of the situation" and then later clarified that, because you had been involved in clandestine discussions away from this forum, it was impossible for anyone to know if you made any such suggestions as it wasn't disclosed in here. I never questioned your involvement with womens' chess, I just stated that you hadn't given any such suggestions to the forum.
I did interpret your comment (wrongly as it turns out) as you not knowing of my involvement in women's chess which wouldn't be that surprising as most of my events are part of the London Chess Classic, Uxbridge etc rather than events that bear my name.