The Berkshire / SCCU Situation and Related Matters

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Roger de Coverly

Re: The Berkshire / SCCU Situation and Related Matters

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:25 am

David Sedgwick wrote:As I understand it, that was partly because they didn't want to adjust their grading limits to meet the ECF / SCCU structure and partly beacuse they didn't want to place their competitions under the auspices of the SCCU.
You can also add - no great interest in playing in a summer competition with long distance travelling.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:48 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: You can also add - no great interest in playing in a summer competition with long distance travelling.
Roger,

Are you speaking for all Berkshire players or yourself and a handful of others?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:34 am

John Upham wrote:
Roger,

Are you speaking for all Berkshire players or yourself and a handful of others?
I'm only really speaking for myself and possibly other Bucks players. Outside of the 4NCL and congresses, Saturday/Sunday afternoon chess these days is 6 rounds of Chiltern over the winter plus the Jamboree, not a national competition with potential matches in April, May, June and July.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Upham

Re: The Berkshire - SCCU dispute

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: but I certainly won't be going to Catford
It would appear that you are missing out on a great deal :

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/co ... deCatford/

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/sh ... ce_ID=2325

and

http://www.aboutbritain.com/towns/catford.asp

I have made contact with the Catford Tourist Board and they have invited a delegation from the Berkshire CA to stay for a fortnight. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:14 pm

I have little to add from the SCCU point of view to what David and Neill have already said.

Members of Camberley club are welcome to play for Surrey as (although their club is not affiliated to the Surrey Association) it is geographically within Surrey.

For the sake of those unfamiliar with the rules here they are (extracted from the ECF site):

B6. The qualifications for a player to represent a County in any of these Championships shall be one of the following:-
i) Birth in that county.
ii) Five years residence in that county at any time.
iii) Two months immediate previous and present membership of a club either in or affiliated to that County.
iv) One month immediately previous and present residence in that County.
v) Present attendance as a teacher or student at a school, college or university in that County.

Roger: times have changed - Surrey now hosts matches at Cheam or Ashtead (but not Sutton) and I have played against Kent teams at Charlton House (a few years ago) and more recently at Dartford, but never Catford.

History of Surrey disputes: Surrey is used to controversy - before the Association was formed in 1883 the editor of 'the Chessplayer's Chronicle' attacked the proposed constitution (giving certain rights only to members of affiliated clubs) as "materially lessening the popularity of the movement, and, to our minds, will entirely rob it of the right to the designation of a County Association"

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 am

"History of Surrey disputes: Surrey is used to controversy - before the Association was formed in 1883 the editor of 'the Chessplayer's Chronicle' attacked the proposed constitution (giving certain rights only to members of affiliated clubs) as "materially lessening the popularity of the movement, and, to our minds, will entirely rob it of the right to the designation of a County Association" "

"(giving certain rights only to members of affiliated clubs)" still applies, doesn't it?!

I looked in an old BCM and it was suggested to have a British Chess Federation, and a meeting to discuss this was announced, whereupon Yorkshire complained that they didn't see the point of a BCF and why was the meeting in London? That was in 1903...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 am

I find that attitude towards our governing body quite strange. I can't imagine football clubs in the 1850s thinking the idea of setting up the FA was a bad one.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:55 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:I find that attitude towards our governing body quite strange. I can't imagine football clubs in the 1850s thinking the idea of setting up the FA was a bad one.
Well no, but then 99% of them didn't exist! ;) (and the dissenters of those that did exist wanted to play Rugby :roll: ).