Middlesex county footage on youtube

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Martin Crichton

Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Martin Crichton » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Congratulations to Middlesex for reaching the Open and U-180 Finals
Some short video footage is now available on the Middlesex County Chess Youtube channel here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/middlesexco ... ture=watch

And finally a brief coded message from afar
No money for naughty boys
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

David Sedgwick

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Speaking for myself, I don't appreciate being filmed at a county match without any forewarning.

What do others think?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm in that clip as well. I hadn't noticed anyone filming. I don't mind, but I would have liked to have known, if only so I could look it up later. I can understand others wanting to know and/or to request not to be filmed. The only other video clip I have of myself playing chess is in Bulgaria, in that game where I walked into a mate. Can't remember if the clip shows that or not, but it was fascinating watching myself moving the pieces in a time scramble.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Speaking for myself, I don't appreciate being filmed at a county match without any forewarning.

What do others think?
Speaking for myself, If I was being filmed playing chess I would significantly prefer it if i wasn't forewarned. Even better if it was done so inobtrusively if i wasn't aware of it at any point. Whether permission should be sought to 'publish' the footage afterwards is another matter, but unless i was both a) central to the footage and b) made to look like a complete ass, I doubt i would object. Certainly not if the medium was only Youtube.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 am

David Sedgwick wrote:Speaking for myself, I don't appreciate being filmed at a county match without any forewarning.

What do others think?
I would be quite happy to be filmed as long as I have applied my make-up. Being very self-conscious these things are important to me. I would also choose a more appropriate T-shirt: my new termite one which I'm hoping to wear at the Snodland Congress.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:44 am

John Upham wrote: I would also choose a more appropriate T-shirt: my new termite one which I'm hoping to wear at the Snodland Congress.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

For those who haven't understood, the arbiter at the Snodland Congress is one Steve Giddins.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:56 am

David Sedgwick wrote: For those who haven't understood, the arbiter at the Snodland Congress is one Steve Giddins.
Given his published aversion to working for next to no reward (Hastings), is the Congress paying a suitable fee?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:17 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: For those who haven't understood, the arbiter at the Snodland Congress is one Steve Giddins.
Given his published aversion to working for next to no reward (Hastings), is the Congress paying a suitable fee?
Who cares, and why is that any of our business?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:29 am

What do others think?
I dont particularly mind and I dont think you can do much about it, especially for public events of a certain profile.
I saw myself in the background for few seconds in the CNN report about Kasparov and his visit at the 2010 London Chess Classics, luckily I was not pulling any weird expression even if I did not notice the camera while concentrating on my game.

Also, as chessplayers we cannot both complain about the lack of media attention on chess events and complain each time someone filming a chess tournament: can you imagine anyone having to ask permission from all players before taking a few minute video? Today it might be for a personal video on youtube, tomorrow it might be the CNN again...

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:

What do others think?
I dont particularly mind and I dont think you can do much about it, especially for public events of a certain profile.
I saw myself in the background for few seconds in the CNN report about Kasparov and his visit at the 2010 London Chess Classics, luckily I was not pulling any weird expression even if I did not notice the camera while concentrating on my game.

Also, as chessplayers we cannot both complain about the lack of media attention on chess events and complain each time someone filming a chess tournament: can you imagine anyone having to ask permission from all players before taking a few minute video? Today it might be for a personal video on youtube, tomorrow it might be the CNN again...
Chess tournaments, particularly sponsored ones, are a different matter. I accept that they are public events.

However, to my mind a county match is not. It's a private event and on this occasion the Surrey team were guests of Middlesex. I hope that no-one here would invite people to their house and then film them without their knowledge.

I'm not having a go at Middlesex as such. I appreciate that it could equally well have happened elsewhere. That why I've raised the issue.

Perhaps I feel strongly about it because I have to accept being filmed at high profile events. You've mentioned the London Chess Classic, for which I'm the Deputy Arbiter. Being on camera throughout is part of the job.

But I don't feel that's the case at a county match, where I consider that I'm off duty.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:51 pm

I think photography (in most cases) is fine. In fact, there's always something reassuring about seeing Brendan entering the playing hall with his camera.

Video, on the other hand is less welcome. One day someone will film a time scramble and there'll be an almighty argument about whether the video is acceptable evidence of flag fall. Filming during the first five minutes of the round seems reasonable.

Intrusive photography is another matter. It's not pleasant to have a camera shutter going off just behind your shoulder when you're desperately trying to avoid being mated. The camera owner (a team mate of my opponent in a county match) obviously wanted to capture the moment of victory, but his enthusiasm earned him a fairly sharp rebuke from me. Despite my obvious annoyance, one of those photographs nevertheless appeared on the opposition's blog. Some people, it seems, can't take a hint.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:Video, on the other hand is less welcome. One day someone will film a time scramble and there'll be an almighty argument about whether the video is acceptable evidence of flag fall.
if that matters, there's a precedent already: the (in)famous Knight move of Kasparov against Polgar in blitz, where Kasparov got away, avoiding a losing move while a video afterwards seems to show that he actually had released the piece :-)

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Interesting comments and feedback! I accept all the comments here and think Richard's was so far the most in line with the general feedback I have received. I hold my hands up to David and apologise and tonight when I get home will modify the catch line from "and the baby bear said.. who's asleep in my chair?" to...."Action packed highlights – Maria making move, David pressing clock, and Andy removing jacket"...
Chess is boring enough for spectators at the best of times so I was merely trying to add a little humour at the expense of the UK's No.1 arbiter as the camera did catch him for a few fleeting seconds in an off duty position! It could always have been worse...at least David or someone else weren't picking their nose!
by the way there was about 60 viewings of the mildly controversial footage before David commented here... that figure quickly doubled! which I attribute to David being such a high profile figure in UK chess!.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Players should be aware that we will have someone taking photographs on site at the County Championship Finals.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 pm

martin crichton wrote:... David pressing clock ...
That would be incorrect. My game had concluded by the time the footage was taken.
martin crichton wrote:Chess is boring enough for spectators at the best of times so I was merely trying to add a little humour at the expense of the UK's No.1 arbiter.
Flattery will always earn you forgiveness.