The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi.
Does 'beloved' mean 'popular' in:
...chess is the world's most popular board game and one of the most beloved of all games.
if so, Why did the author use it?
and if not, what is the difference?

Thanks in advance

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Not so much popular as very well liked and regarded with fondness.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:07 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Not so much popular as very well liked and regarded with fondness.
you mean chess is one of the most beloved of all games mean that it is very well liked and regarded with fondness?
Who is it loved by in the words of the author?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 am

Soheil,

Another site that you might find useful is: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/

It provides online access to:
1. Dictionary of UK English, including pronunciation
2. Dictionary of US English, including pronunciation
3. Thesaurus - A catalogue of synonymes
4. Help with English language and words
5. Word games, including crosswords and scrabble

It should be able to answer the majority your ever expanding list of questions.

I may be wrong, but your quest to explore the infinite richness of English seem to have sidelined your original intention of translating Seirawan's chess book into Iranian.

Incidentally, the entry for beloved can be found at: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... olicy=true

soheil_hooshdaran

wide-open

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Hello.
What is a wide-open game?
Able to calculate with immense speed and precision and possessing wonderful technique, Morphy played a wide-open, attacking game that made little use of pawns.
There are a few senses for 'wide-open]. Which one applies?

Thanks in advance

Clive Blackburn

Re: wide-open

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:24 pm

He means that the centre is not blocked by pawn chains and Morphy could use the open lines to quickly bring his pieces into the attack.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

I implore Soheil to suspend further painstaking translation on this forum until he has fully explored all the very useful links to the English language so kindly provided by Michael Flatt.

They are an expedient to a good translation. Posting piecemeal here is an impediment to one. Rather than expropriating the word-hoards of the natives, Soheil should seek, first, to impropriate himself with an appropriate one of his own, on his own.

N.B. If Soheil's questions are related to a book of Yasser Seirawan's then perhaps he should ask himself if he is best suited to be the sole translator. It could be that a collaboration with an Iranian chessplayer who has lived in the US would do it more justice. (Try placing an advert in the Tehran Times.)

http://tehrantimes.com/highlights/98568 ... -invention

soheil_hooshdaran

Re: wide-open

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote:He means that the centre is not blocked by pawn chains and Morphy could use the open lines to quickly bring his pieces into the attack.
Is there a difference between an open game and a wide-open game?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm

John McKenna wrote:
N.B. If Soheil's questions are related to a book of Yasser Seirawan's then perhaps he should ask himself if he is best suited to be the sole translator. It could be that a collaboration with an Iranian chessplayer who has lived in the US would do it more justice. (Try placing an advert in the Tehran Times.)

http://tehrantimes.com/highlights/98568 ... -invention
Ha!ha!
I know the elite chess players in Iran. Other than GM Moradiabadi, E, I don't know of any one who has 'lived' in the U.S. for a while.(GM Moradi has moved to the U.S recently and is not in Iran now.)

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Soheil,

You fail to exert any effort on your own part and by effectively posing exactly the same question time after time you abuse the good will of those courteous enough to respond to you.

Compare, for instance, these two dictionary entries for (i) open and (ii) wide-open:
(i) http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... olicy=true
(ii) http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... olicy=true

Marvel at the effort it has taken to unearth the answer to such a testing and almost intractable conundrum!

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: Marvel at the effort it has taken to unearth the answer to such a testing and almost intractable conundrum!
Thank you, but the problem is . very open is just meaningless in chess for a position

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:48 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Michael Flatt wrote: Marvel at the effort it has taken to unearth the answer to such a testing and almost intractable conundrum!
Thank you, but the problem is . very open is just meaningless in chess for a position
Clive Blackburn wrote:He means that the centre is not blocked by pawn chains and Morphy could use the open lines to quickly bring his pieces into the attack.
Soheil,

I can only assume that you are not a chess player. You have the benefit of Yasser Seirawan's book yet nothing in it has any meaning for you.

To be able to play chess one needs to possess some initiative or gumption.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:15 am

Michael Flatt wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Soheil,

I can only assume that you are not a chess player. You have the benefit of Yasser Seirawan's book yet nothing in it has any meaning for you.

To be able to play chess one needs to possess some initiative or gumption.
I do as a 1900-player: you can see my FIDE profile. As well as a trainer.
we have open center, closed center, small center, semi open center, and dynamic center. There is no mention of a 'wide open' center.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:05 am

"... we have open center, closed center, small center, semi open center, and dynamic center. There is no mention of a 'wide open' center."

'Wide open' could perhaps be thought of in these terms -

Let me ride in the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in...

For the complete (cowboy) song see -

http://www.songlyrics.com/cowboy-songs/ ... in-lyrics/

While we have open spaces in crowded Europe they have wide open spaces in roomy America.
That a writer of chess books in the US should use "wide open" when addressing the space available in the center (US spelling) is only to be expected.

Soheil,

What page of Yasser's book are we translating now?
How many pages left to do?

If/when this translation is done, do you intend to do any others?

If so there are many excellent chess books written in the German and Russian languages that are crying out to be rendered into Farsi/Arabic.

By the way, which of those is your target language?

John

PS You are right about GM Moradi being in the US -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elshan_Moradi

Pity he is not available for the Iranian Olympiad team.
However, when he returns he will be the ideal partner for your Seirawan translation.
I am sure it would be worth the wait, in gold.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:00 pm

John McKenna wrote:"... we have open center, closed center, small center, semi open center, and dynamic center. There is no mention of a 'wide open' center."

'Wide open' could perhaps be thought of in these terms -

Let me ride in the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in...

For the complete (cowboy) song see -

http://www.songlyrics.com/cowboy-songs/ ... in-lyrics/

While we have open spaces in crowded Europe they have wide open spaces in roomy America.
That a writer of chess books in the US should use "wide open" when addressing the space available in the center (US spelling) is only to be expected.

Soheil,

What page of Yasser's book are we translating now?
How many pages left to do?

If/when this translation is done, do you intend to do any others?

If so there are many excellent chess books written in the German and Russian languages that are crying out to be rendered into Farsi/Arabic.

By the way, which of those is your target language?

John

PS You are right about GM Moradi being in the US -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elshan_Moradi

Pity he is not available for the Iranian Olympiad team.
However, when he returns he will be the ideal partner for your Seirawan translation.
I am sure it would be worth the wait, in gold.
Who says? GM Moradi is competing at board 2 of the Olympiad team.
He seems to be at odds with me for now. Our friendship is broken.
The book is being repaginated by the publisher.

And he will reside in Tehran, Kilometers away from me.