Remake of The Prisoner evidence?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Upham

Remake of The Prisoner evidence?

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:34 pm

Evidence has emerged for a remake of the cult series The Prisoner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64730255
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Joey Stewart

Re: Remake of The Prisoner evidence?

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:46 pm

You know how normally everyone says "oh they could never remake that old show and it be as good as the original" well here is a case that could easily break that rule - I watched the entire prisoner series back in the day and the final episodes are the most mental hour of acid trip nonsense ever committed to film, ripe for a decent remake as the actual premise of the story was quite interesting and had a lot of potential.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:08 pm

Final *episode* rather than plural IMO (the penultimate one is generally considered amongst the best)

I don't think that even Patrick McGoohan himself actually understood the finale. He apparently got hate mail and even threats over it.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:05 pm

I heard a theory that the programme makers made the end of series episode deliberately weird, so that everyone would be fascinated, and eager to see the explanation in episode one of the new series. Unfortunately, the TV company thought instead, "This is garbage - we have to cancel it."

Of course the explanation could have been the rather tired old, "it was all a dream", (as "Dallas" incredibly did for an entire series), or the more modern, but shocking for the time, "bad trip".

It was rather pleasing when Patrick McGoohan did one of his many (four?) appearances in "Columbo", that when he exited one scene, he said, "Be seeing you!"

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:08 am

I don't think they ever intended the series to go on as long as it did so spent all the early episodes putting layer after layer of mystery and secrets but when push came to shove and they were asked to wrap it up they had nothing so instead took a bunch of drugs and wrote down an episode of such audacious gibberish it makes Alan Llewellyns rants look like a PhD thesis by comparison.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.