The Garry Linekar Affair

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Joey Stewart

The Garry Linekar Affair

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:28 pm

So, with all the furore going on about Garry Linekar right now I'm sure somebody or other must have opinions.
I personally don't agree with his viewpoint, or care enough about match of the day that I would miss him, but he still should be entitled to air it outside of work and not treated as though the BBC own his mind, body and soul 24 hours a day - there is a principal here that corporations with their suppressive attitudes need to understand and hopefully it will be a big statement towards redressing the balance.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Angus French

Re: The Garry Linekar Affair

Post by Angus French » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:59 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:28 pm
So, with all the furore going on about Garry Linekar right now I'm sure somebody or other must have opinions.
I personally don't agree with his viewpoint, or care enough about match of the day that I would miss him, but he still should be entitled to air it outside of work and not treated as though the BBC own his mind, body and soul 24 hours a day - there is a principal here that corporations with their suppressive attitudes need to understand and hopefully it will be a big statement towards redressing the balance.
Gary Lineker you mean?
Is it possible you can be specific about why you "don't agree with his viewpoint"?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:05 pm

That would be a debate worthy of its own topic, but the point I was trying to make is that I am still willing to hear opposite views to my own and despise the growing mentality of attempting to crush all dissenting voices so by extension support his right to say such things as an individual.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:05 pm
That would be a debate worthy of its own topic, but the point I was trying to make is that I am still willing to hear opposite views to my own and despise the growing mentality of attempting to crush all dissenting voices so by extension support his right to say such things as an individual.
I understand your willingness to hear opposite views to your own but I'm afraid I'm not yet clear on what your own views are - or what is meant by the "growing mentality of attempting to crush all dissenting voices".

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:20 pm

I think what Joey is trying to say is that he agrees with the wider principle Gary Lineker was highlighting, but maybe Joey misses the point that the attempt here was not to crush all dissenting voices, but a specific subset of dissenting voices. You only draw the ire of certain people if you oppose their policies in a way that embarasses them.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:28 pm

A few days before this blew up, Suella Braverman said that anybody who opposed her asylum proposals was "anti-British".

There's another word for that - Orbanism.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:28 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 pm

I understand your willingness to hear opposite views to your own but I'm afraid I'm not yet clear on what your own views are - or what is meant by the "growing mentality of attempting to crush all dissenting voices".
What I mean is we have developed a society where it has become very easy and convenient to silence others with almost no consequences- before the days of social media you would have to physically tell somebody you didn't want to talk to them anymore or disliked their political views so strongly that they had lost their job whereas with the age of social media people have been conditioned to simply hitting the block button on anything they deem "offensive", managers hide behind a wall of customer support and HR who can take abuse on their behalf so it has empowered this sort of cowardly behaviour.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:52 am

This may help get perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sokiprD2gkc