What do people here do?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Nicky Chorley

What do people here do?

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 am

I mean, in terms of their occupation. I've seen that there are several web/software developers here, but I'm curious as to what else the regulars here do. Are a lot of people involved with chess as part of their job? I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread.

I'm finishing up a PhD right now and am finding it ridiculously difficult to get a job for afterwards :/.

Thanks!

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Re: What do people here do?

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 am

I'm a Tax Man... HMRC.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 am

Nicky Chorley wrote:Are a lot of people involved with chess as part of their job?
I'm a secondary school maths teacher and also run school chess club and teams.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am

I used to have a career. Now I'm a civil servant.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 am

Nicky Chorley wrote:
I'm finishing up a PhD right now and am finding it ridiculously difficult to get a job for afterwards :/.

Thanks!
Become a Post Doc and then a lecturer : this was the path I followed. What is the subject of your thesis?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:39 am

IT (everything...) going on for "cough" some 30 years now :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:I'm a Tax Man... HMRC.
What does that actually involve? Do people give you a lot of stick for it?
John Upham wrote: Become a Post Doc and then a lecturer : this was the path I followed. What is the subject of your thesis?
That was originally my intention, but now I don't really think I'm cut out for an academic career (lack of ideas is a major thing, as well as having to supervise students; I'd be quite bad at the latter, I think). Having said that, I've applied for several postdocs (including one which seems quite interesting). How did you end up in software then?

Also, my thesis is titled "Spatial and temporal properties of sunspot oscillations". I've been analysing data with the aim of being able to learn something about the oscillations that we see and ideally the properties of the plasma they're in, but that's quite difficult to do.
Carl Hibbard wrote:IT (everything...) going on for "cough" some 30 years now :(
Is that bad? At least you keep this place and the grading database going :D.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Nicky Chorley wrote:I mean, in terms of their occupation. I've seen that there are several web/software developers here, but I'm curious as to what else the regulars here do. Are a lot of people involved with chess as part of their job? I did a search and couldn't find a similar thread.

Thanks!
Twenty years as a truck driver, ended up until near the end, driving an artic all over Europe. Now retired 'coz disabled, COPD and a mild stroke.

What ever you do, make sure other people benefit from it, if all else fails, cut your losses and get a trade. I know that sounds silly when you have a PhD, but when between a rock and a hard place, take the lesser of the two evils.

I can recommend a book that might help you make up your mind what to do with the rest of your life.
James Dyson's autobiography.

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Nicky Chorley wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:I'm a Tax Man... HMRC.
What does that actually involve? Do people give you a lot of stick for it?
I assist the public with their tax issues/questions/concerns.

I generally get a little stick from friends or people who meet me for the first time, but when I'm in the job 90% of the public are quite pleasant. They can see I'm trying to help them, even if that just means help them understand why they are in debt rather than help reduce their liability.

I really enjoy my job, I guess I'd have to in order to stick with it for so long considering the abysmal pay I'm on.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Nicky Chorley wrote:Also, my thesis is titled "Spatial and temporal properties of sunspot oscillations".
That sounds like the midway point between my thesis on "Do sunspots affect the weather" (actually 'The amplitude of the tropospheric response to solar variability') and my brother's on "Solar Oscillations". We then both spent 20 years using maths to model environmental processes, then I became a teacher. He still is an environmental modeller but also plays bells.

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 pm

OK, here's a theory.

Going with my previous comments on a couple of threads about the correlation between chess and mathematical ability, I am predicting that we have a lot of people who did Maths, Physics or Computing to A level (or equivalent). I am also predicting a preponderance of people with jobs that require (minimally) numeracy, and more likely a good grasp of quantitative concepts, if not overt use of maths and mathematical ideas.

So e.g. I would predict we will have a good smattering of:

- computer programmers/software developers
- teachers of maths/physics/computing
- academics in disciplines like maths, science (esp physics-related), and economics
- accountants / book-keepers / tax people / actuaries
- financial lawyers
- civil servants in an area related to one of the above, or at least requiring numerical comprehension.

A few of the above have already shown up in the replies so far.

Should stress I'm not saying this prediction should cover everyone, but I reckon it ought to get quite a decent percentage of chess-ers. If I get really motivated I might try and figure out how to run an occupation poll/questionnaire.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm a student, who in lieu of the job shortage, has decided to do chess coaching next year instead. It's OK money and would be something I enjoy. Better than sitting on my backside for the next 12 months anyway!

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Neill Cooper wrote: That sounds like the midway point between my thesis on "Do sunspots affect the weather" (actually 'The amplitude of the tropospheric response to solar variability') and my brother's on "Solar Oscillations". We then both spent 20 years using maths to model environmental processes, then I became a teacher. He still is an environmental modeller but also plays bells.
Interesting :D. What did you find? Also, out of interest, where did he do his? Is the bell playing part of his job? :D. I see you've done quite a few jobs, too.
James Byrne wrote:Studying Accounting at Notts Uni.
Enjoying it?

Also, to Austin Elliot, yes I imagined as much. I thought about running a poll and then couldn't be bothered :D. Most of the people I know at chess club are doing numerate degrees.

Nicky Chorley

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm

PeterTurland wrote:Twenty years as a truck driver, ended up until near the end, driving an artic all over Europe. Now retired 'coz disabled, COPD and a mild stroke.

What ever you do, make sure other people benefit from it, if all else fails, cut your losses and get a trade. I know that sounds silly when you have a PhD, but when between a rock and a hard place, take the lesser of the two evils.

I can recommend a book that might help you make up your mind what to do with the rest of your life.
James Dyson's autobiography.
Sorry to hear that, Peter.

Yes, I do like the idea of doing something to benefit people. In fact, one of the jobs I've applied for would be just that, at least indirectly (automated processing of retinal images). Also, what did you mean by "get a trade"? I've not really heard that phrase before :oops:.

I do have ideas for what I'd like to do (mainly computery stuff - programming, UNIX, even more science as long as there's lots of programming and it's interesting), just am struggling a bit right now. Dyson - the vacuum cleaner one?