Should Scotland adopt the Euro?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Gordon Cadden

Re: Should Scotland adopt the Euro?

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 pm

PeterTurland wrote:I'm throwing caution to the winds here, by the suggestion that all separate countries give up a little bit of sovereignty, to the idea of a universal bill of human rights.

The UN becomes the parliament of the planet, the enormous savings made by having a global police force mandated by a democratic UN enforcing the rights of every individual human being, instead of every individual country having it's own armed forces, might mean the fifth of our planet not having clean water and supplies of sufficient nutrition might come to an end. Ok an anthem, the Marseillaise makes me want to stand to attention.
Ah Utopia - always assuming that the majority of countries at the UN, are not represented by corrupt Governments. I love Le Marseillaise as an inspiring piece of music, but stand to attention for the French Government (Chirac et Sarkozy) !? God - NO !!

PeterTurland

Re: Should Scotland adopt the Euro?

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote: Ah Utopia - always assuming that the majority of countries at the UN, are not represented by corrupt Governments. I love Le Marseillaise as an inspiring piece of music, but stand to attention for the French Government (Chirac et Sarkozy) !? God - NO !!
But I consider perfection to be a direction not a destination.
I also would not stand to attention for the French government, but I would stand to attention for liberty fraternity and equality for the entire human race. I don't want to be a subject, I would rather be a citizen. The fact that us Brits haven't got a written constitution is a license for lawyers to print money, Robert Maxwell proved that, anyone who printed anything about him, he had served with a gagging injunction, freedom of speech, what freedom of speech?