Up date on Peter A Williams

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Peter D Williams

Re: Up date on Peter A Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Peter likes that title Lots.

Yes it be very helpful to know if any one got any stats on this phenomenon.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm

I am sorry, but is it just me who finds this all just a tiny bit excruciating. What I certainly don't disagree with is that Peter must be a phenomenal talent and it's a shame if he can't find more time for chess in his busy life.

Paul Douglass

Post by Paul Douglass » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Wow - I wish I was that good (just a lowly 163 I'm afraid!) -

Never mind - well done to Peter (A) and his parents who are doing a great job!
He's obviously leading a nice healthy teenage life. There's more to life than a mere chess existence - take more out of life than staring at those pieces on a chess board for hours at a time!

Good luck to all of you for the future! Makes a lovely change from all of the bitter people (myself included!) on here. :-)
Paul Douglass

"Every time I win a tournament I have to think that there is something wrong with modern chess." - Victor Korchnoi

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:00 am

Paul Douglass wrote:Wow - I wish I was that good (just a lowly 163 I'm afraid!) -

Never mind - well done to Peter (A) and his parents who are doing a great job!
He's obviously leading a nice healthy teenage life. There's more to life than a mere chess existence - take more out of life than staring at those pieces on a chess board for hours at a time!

Good luck to all of you for the future! Makes a lovely change from all of the bitter people (myself included!) on here. :-)
+

Many thinks Paul for your kind words.
If you send me one of your chess games i get Peter to take a look at (when he got time) it for you and add some comments which may help your chess.
All the best to you from us

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 am

John Moore wrote:I am sorry, but is it just me who finds this all just a tiny bit excruciating. What I certainly don't disagree with is that Peter must be a phenomenal talent and it's a shame if he can't find more time for chess in his busy life.
Cost comes into it as well as time John :wink:

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am

Bob Clark wrote:
John Moore wrote:I am sorry, but is it just me who finds this all just a tiny bit excruciating. What I certainly don't disagree with is that Peter must be a phenomenal talent and it's a shame if he can't find more time for chess in his busy life.
Extremely excruciating, but then Isuspect this thread is really more about his parents than Peter
That is a helpful comment i say your comments are extremely excruciating as you have nothing positive to offer i always expect the usual lot on here to come up with that sort of comment :wink:
Weather turned a lot colder i may light the log burner later.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Bob Clark wrote:
Extremely excruciating, but then Isuspect this thread is really more about his parents than Peter
That is a helpful comment i say your comments are extremely excruciating as you have nothing positive to offer i always expect the usual lot on here to come up with that sort of comment :wink:
Weather turned a lot colder i may light the log burner later.
Whilst I'm sure some people would love to get a running commentary on someone's life, isn't that sort of thing best done via Facebook or Twitter? I've got nothing against you or your family Peter, but I don't know any of you personally and I rather suspect that others find this sort of post more suitable to one of the aforementioned sites.

Meanwhile, i hope junior continues to enjoy life!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Peter,

You might like to create a "Peter A Williams" Twitter account and then Tweet various updates as the need arises.

Forum members could then have the option of following you or not.

It would also allow images of tortoises, cakes and other interesting subjects to be published to your followers.

Just a thought!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:49 pm

John Upham wrote:Peter,

You might like to create a "Peter A Williams" Twitter account and then Tweet various updates as the need arises.

Forum members could then have the option of following you or not.

It would also allow images of tortoises, cakes and other interesting subjects to be published to your followers.

Just a thought!
Don't forumites have the choice of if to follow a thread or not? The title makes it clear it's about Peter, so anyone who isn't interested can amuse themselves with the many forum threads. At least there's been no mention of membership or game fee (until now :oops: )

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:50 pm

That one of our top juniors may or may not be continuing to play chess may not be of particular concern to most in the world of English chess - I think it is relevant on this particular forum.

I can think of other more excruciating and less relevant topics which have been discussed of late.

For those who find it too painful, feel free to read another thread. It is not as if the title is confusing anyone about the content.

I believe Peter Senior originally posted to set the record straight about what was going on in Peter Junior's life. This is as good a way as any of reaching his chess friends. Whilst many do not actually post on this forum, some do occasionally come along and read here. Facebook and Twitter are all well and good for closer friends, but we do not have all the people we know in the chess world on there.

Peter Senior has not committed a criminal offence and I am pleased to hear about Peter Junior and his progress (as well as any other junior) on this forum. The juniors are the future of chess and we should not forget that. I hope that Peter Junior continues to play in some form or other.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Greg Breed says-Whilst I'm sure some people would love to get a running commentary on someone's life, isn't that sort of thing best done via Facebook or Twitter? I've got nothing against you or your family Peter, but I don't know any of you personally and I rather suspect that others find this sort of post more suitable to one of the aforementioned sites.

Meanwhile, i hope junior continues to enjoy life![/quote]

The post was put up in response to comments on anther thread by a chess player who appeared to think that Peter lived in social isolation and was part of an experiment I was making sure that those who are a little ignorant of the facts where aware of them such as Peter having a large group of friends read my first post for the full picture ,but of course we expected the usual crowd on here to make the usual negative comments often about juniors.Ignorance of facts much always be challenged and corrected and i did not want other members on here after reading that thread by a member to believe what had been wrote about Pete A life.
I do not use twitter or Facebook that would confuse me :lol:

Not all find the post not suitable as some have giving some positive feedback which we are very pleased to receive.

The log burner works fine and it looks like we going to need it with this cold snap arriving for the weekend :wink:
Last edited by Peter D Williams on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Well said Krishna and Peter.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:That one of our top juniors may or may not be continuing to play chess may not be of particular concern to most in the world of English chess - I think it is relevant on this particular forum.

I can think of other more excruciating and less relevant topics which have been discussed of late.

For those who find it too painful, feel free to read another thread. It is not as if the title is confusing anyone about the content.

I believe Peter Senior originally posted to set the record straight about what was going on in Peter Junior's life. This is as good a way as any of reaching his chess friends. Whilst many do not actually post on this forum, some do occasionally come along and read here. Facebook and Twitter are all well and good for closer friends, but we do not have all the people we know in the chess world on there.

Peter Senior has not committed a criminal offence and I am pleased to hear about Peter Junior and his progress (as well as any other junior) on this forum. The juniors are the future of chess and we should not forget that. I hope that Peter Junior continues to play in some form or other.
Many thanks Krishna good comments as always some of you should take a little more notice of Krishna on all sort of subjects to do with chess you never know you may learn something :wink:
The usual crowd have nothing to offer our juniors only negative feedback and then wonder why so many juniors chess players give it up.
Fortunately we do have some good people in the chess world who do an awfull lot to encourage our juniors.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Krishna and both Peters

My original comment about "excruciating" stemmed particularly about the top two posts on page 2. If that upset anyone, I do apologise - it rather reminded me about Paul Motwani doing more stuff about acronyms and how his father-in-law was Japanese. Anyway, best wishes to all.
Krishna Shiatis wrote:That one of our top juniors may or may not be continuing to play chess may not be of particular concern to most in the world of English chess - I think it is relevant on this particular forum.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Personally speaking if the purpose of this thread is to alter conceptions people had of their son's lifestyle I do not see what is wrong with setting this up on the Not Chess Thread. I personally very rarely use Facebook and Twitter.

Peter has done well to obtain the grade of 231 at only 16 and I believe is the highest graded 16 year old in the country. I do wonder how many British players have achieved that grade at that asge.

I see that on the General Chat section there is the thread has anyone ever given up chess which is 12 pages long and had its' last posting a year ago and certainly do not want to see Peter's name added to the list of the players on that.