Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Peter D Williams

Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm

The Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai is the place to stay and enjoy fine food.this looks rather nice on the menu Blue
Lobster from Brittany on orange and red wine sauce :D . The hotel also serves fine Beluga Imperial Caviar.I think rooms are about £2000 pound a night not sure if that includes breakfast :wink: The Royal Suite is amazing but that would cost more.
Check it out if you got time just type in Burj Al Hotel in Duba and enjoy.The Chinese super rich go there :D

Right i am off out back later.
Last edited by Peter D Williams on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Alan Walton

Re: Burj Al Arab hotel in Duba

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I presume you mean the one in Dubai and not Duba which is in Saudi Arabia

The ACO tournament which is being played in Crete in May, actually had the 2012 tournament in Dubai, their closing ceremony was at the Burj al Arab

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Here is a report on the 2012 Dubai event -

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8413

At the foot of it - after many pics of prize winners (could be you if you have only a modest ELO) - there are a few more details about Kriti in May. The hotel is only 4* luxury as the Palace of Knossos (*********...) is slowly being rebuilt after being wrecked - some say by a permanent guest called Mr. Minotaur who is reported to have the body of a man but the head of a bull!
Q. What do you call a creature with the head of a man and the body of a bull?
A. Arnie.

I just had halawi dates with black coffee - all I lacked was a little pot of plain Greek yog. Never mind I'll get one next time.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Alan Walton wrote:I presume you mean the one in Dubai and not Duba which is in Saudi Arabia

The ACO tournament which is being played in Crete in May, actually had the 2012 tournament in Dubai, their closing ceremony was at the Burj al Arab
Yes the hotel in Dubai in my excitement of reading about this amazing hotel and its food i forget to spell it right :wink:
The Royal Suite has
Area:
780 square metres
Special Features:

Location – 25th floor
Exclusive privileges – Private elevator, private cinema
Lower level – Dining area, Arabic majlis (reception) style lounge and library
Upper level – Master bedroom with rotating four-poster canopy bed and second bedroom, each with adjoining marble bathrooms with spa bath, walk-in shower, fine porcelain fittings and full sized Hermes 24 – Faubourg fragrances and body products
also guests are provided with Rolls-Royce chauffeur shopping experience
From the moment the guests enter their room and their butler asks whether they would like assistance unpacking their luggage, they will retreat into a state of personal privacy in an environment of spectacular elegance and sophistication, where every request is granted and every need anticipated. :D :D :D

The food is amazing check it out and the finest wine from around the world are brought in for the guests to enjoy.No wonder the Chinese super rich go there.Three years ago, The Chinese comprised just four per cent of the hotel’s guests. Now they make up almost a third. Not so long ago, one party from Beijing booked 50 rooms. :D :D

No way i want to play chess there when its got all this on offer Burj Al Arab guests can enjoy unlimited access to Wild Wadi waterpark which is accessible via a complimentary buggy drive or short walk. Few destinations in the world offer the diversity, quality and range of golf courses which are available here in Dubai.

Soon be time for afternoon tea with cake of course

Arshad Ali

Re: Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai

Post by Arshad Ali » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 pm

I doubt the hotel will survive for any length of time -- it's one small part of Makhtoum's megalomaniac fantasy of making Dubai a financial and leisure centre, which has already come a cropper.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:I doubt the hotel will survive for any length of time -- it's one small part of Makhtoum's megalomaniac fantasy of making Dubai a financial and leisure centre, which has already come a cropper.
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum family wealth is estimated to be $44 billion Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (born July 15, 1949), is the Prime Minister and Vice President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and constitutional monarch of Dubai.[1] He has held those positions since January 2006, when he succeeded his elder brother, Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum. So he got plenty of money to carry out his fantasy. unless you know something i do not know about his wealth? :wink:
He also a major figure in international thoroughbred horse racing and breeding . In late 1981, he purchased Gainsborough Stud at Woolton Hill, near Newbury, Berkshire, United Kingdom. He owns Ballysheehan Stud in County Tipperary, Ireland. He also owns Gainsborough Farms Inc in Versailles, Kentucky, United States. In the UK, his horses have won numerous important Group One races including several of the British Classic Races. His horses have also won the Irish Derby Stakes and the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe and in the United States the 2006 Preakness Stakes with Bernardini

In 2008, he bought the Woodlands Stud empire for more than $460 million.

I think he got enough money to carry on for now. :D

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum family wealth is estimated to be $44 billion Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (born July 15, 1949), is the Prime Minister and Vice President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and constitutional monarch of Dubai.[1] He has held those positions since January 2006, when he succeeded his elder brother, Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum. So he got plenty of money to carry out his fantasy. unless you know something i do not know about his wealth?
He's had to go hat in hand to his cousins in Abu Dhabi to bail him out. Problem with Dubai is it's not an oil producer (or a nominal one at best). So Makhtoum got this bright idea -- a flash of genius really -- let's make Dubai a mecca for finance and services! Everything is going to be the best and biggest! The first indoor skiing resort in the Middle East -- when the temperature outside is a sweltering 110F. And the increasingly expensive energy to power this resort, the giant neon signs, the huge shopping malls, was supposed to come from foreign marks who'd stump up a thousand quid a night for a hotel room. Just give me a second -- my laughter is affecting my typing. Dubai's come a cropper and the august sheikh might be advised to return to smuggling.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum family wealth is estimated to be $44 billion Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (born July 15, 1949), is the Prime Minister and Vice President of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and constitutional monarch of Dubai.[1] He has held those positions since January 2006, when he succeeded his elder brother, Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum. So he got plenty of money to carry out his fantasy. unless you know something i do not know about his wealth?
He's had to go hat in hand to his cousins in Abu Dhabi to bail him out. Problem with Dubai is it's not an oil producer (or a nominal one at best). So Makhtoum got this bright idea -- a flash of genius really -- let's make Dubai a mecca for finance and services! Everything is going to be the best and biggest! The first indoor skiing resort in the Middle East -- when the temperature outside is a sweltering 110F. And the increasingly expensive energy to power this resort, the giant neon signs, the huge shopping malls, was supposed to come from foreign marks who'd stump up a thousand quid a night for a hotel room. Just give me a second -- my laughter is affecting my typing. Dubai's come a cropper and the august sheikh might be advised to return to smuggling.
Handy Maktoum got cousins who can help him if his own wealth will not cover it :D The hotel is open and taking booking to :wink:

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I have done a bit more research on Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and his portfolio includes the landmark hotel
Jumeirah Carlton Towers in the heart of London and the exclusive Knightsbridge boutique
hotel, Jumeirah Lowndes. In New York’s Manhattan, Jumeirah Essex House, the unique art deco hotel .
In 2000, the Sheikh funded 4 million euro for the construction of the Essalaam mosque in Rotterdam.
In Dubai, his leadership has resulted in major infrastructure projects, including internationally renowned sporting facilities, an impressive road network, modern parks and gardens, and public libraries. Dubai International Airport has also been expanded and improved to reflect the emirate's status as the regional aviation hub.
Today on 28 February 2013 His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, attended on Thursday afternoon a lunch banquet hosted by Emirati Al Shaiba bin Ali Al Saboosi at his manor in Marmoum district.

I believe one can send him a message i may ask him if he going broke LoL

I be back tomorrow to see how we all getting on and what progress we making with various subjects on here.
-

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:I have done a bit more research on Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and his portfolio includes the landmark hotel
Jumeirah Carlton Towers in the heart of London and the exclusive Knightsbridge boutique
hotel, Jumeirah Lowndes. In New York’s Manhattan, Jumeirah Essex House, the unique art deco hotel .
In 2000, the Sheikh funded 4 million euro for the construction of the Essalaam mosque in Rotterdam.
In Dubai, his leadership has resulted in major infrastructure projects, including internationally renowned sporting facilities, an impressive road network, modern parks and gardens, and public libraries. Dubai International Airport has also been expanded and improved to reflect the emirate's status as the regional aviation hub.
Today on 28 February 2013 His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, attended on Thursday afternoon a lunch banquet hosted by Emirati Al Shaiba bin Ali Al Saboosi at his manor in Marmoum district.

I be back tomorrow to see how we all getting on and what progress we making with various subjects on here.
-
Ask him if he'd like to host a couple of rounds of the 4NCL next year - if not I'm quite prepared to change our team's name to Al-Maktoum Ashfield-Breadsall for a small sum! :lol:

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 am

Peter D Williams wrote:I have done a bit more research on Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and his portfolio includes the landmark hotel

-
You do realise that this is all chump change at his level, I hope? It's tens of billions in debt he's having to service -- $85 billion if memory serves. Ten million, a hundred million, or even a billion here or there means nothing at his level. Dubai as a grand idea is dead and buried. These are "cities of sand" as one commentator described them years ago. These artificial constructs in the middle of deserts need colossal amounts of energy and imported resources to keep functioning. The desert will reclaim them by and by. The same, incidentally, will happen to cities like Vegas and Phoenix on this side of the Atlantic.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am

Arshad Ali wrote:You do realise that this is all chump change at his level, I hope? It's tens of billions in debt he's having to service -- $85 billion if memory serves. Ten million, a hundred million, or even a billion here or there means nothing at his level. Dubai as a grand idea is dead and buried. These are "cities of sand" as one commentator described them years ago. These artificial constructs in the middle of deserts need colossal amounts of energy and imported resources to keep functioning. The desert will reclaim them by and by. The same, incidentally, will happen to cities like Vegas and Phoenix on this side of the Atlantic.
All very true. Though all cities go that way eventually. Vast trunkless legs of stone and all that. You do wonder what future generations will make of it all. Maybe some statue of some oil sheikh will survive to the distant future with some shattered visage and sneer of cold command. Or the remnants of these skyscrapers in the desert (the Burj Khalifa is an amazing sight) will stand as latter day follies to human vanity.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:42 am

[quote="Arshad Ali

You do realise that this is all chump change at his level, I hope? It's tens of billions in debt he's having to service -- $85 billion if memory serves. Ten million, a hundred million, or even a billion here or there means nothing at his level. Dubai as a grand idea is dead and buried. These are "cities of sand" as one commentator described them years ago. These artificial constructs in the middle of deserts need colossal amounts of energy and imported resources to keep functioning. The desert will reclaim them by and by. The same, incidentally, will happen to cities like Vegas and Phoenix on this side of the Atlantic.[/quote]

Morning all
I think Dubai got about 20 years of oil and gas left so that should help him fund it all :wink: Mind you talking of debt the UK got some to Government borrowing hit £1,000,389,000,000 at the end of March – or £40,000 per household – the Office for National Statistics said.
The figure is so enormous, equivalent to more than one million million pounds, that the country must pay £40billion interest on it in this year alone – roughly what is spent on the entire defense budget.

Wonder if we can carry on funding all this debt we need a kind cousin like Maktoum got :D

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Morning all
I think Dubai got about 20 years of oil and gas left so that should help him fund it all :wink: Mind you talking of debt the UK got some to Government borrowing hit £1,000,389,000,000 at the end of March – or £40,000 per household – the Office for National Statistics said.
The figure is so enormous, equivalent to more than one million million pounds, that the country must pay £40billion interest on it in this year alone – roughly what is spent on the entire defense budget.

Wonder if we can carry on funding all this debt we need a kind cousin like Maktoum got :D
Here's an idea:
The UK gov't borrows a trillion pounds from Wonga.com to pay off the debt. The next day it borrows from Quickquid to pay off Wonga.com and so on and so on. It pays off the loan faster than any interest can accumulate. Then it collects taxes based upon those companies turnover! :D
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:01 pm

[quote="Greg Breed"
Here's an idea:
The UK gov't borrows a trillion pounds from Wonga.com to pay off the debt. The next day it borrows from Quickquid to pay off Wonga.com and so on and so on. It pays off the loan faster than any interest can accumulate. Then it collects taxes based upon those companies turnover! :D[/quote]

No way I prefer it if we had a kind cousin like Maktoum got to pay off our debts :D

Lunch time :D :D :D i be back later to see what progress we all making with the various subjects on here.