Horrifying Parasites on the Planet

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Peter D Williams

Horrifying Parasites on the Planet

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:39 pm

All that talk about Chess competitions and hygiene got me thinking about a subject i really find very interesting Parasites.

Here a horrifying Parasite The Guinea Worm It starts small, really small. It begins life as a microscopic larva tiny enough to fit inside of the common water flea. Like the elderly residents of Florida, water fleas love to hang out in stagnant pools of water, gossiping and doing water exercises until they are unknowingly ingested by big, thirsty, humans.
So you go swimming and the flea makes its way down your throat. Now, not being adequately equipped to survive the harsh environment of the human stomach, the water flea is dissolved away, leaving the guinea worm larva behind. It finds a soft, fleshy cavity to burrow into and starts growing.

And growing.

About a year after infection, the full sized guinea worm is no longer microscopic, but instead measures two to three goddamned feet long. As long as a three year-old human child.

Being so large, a cramped human body is no longer adequate real estate. So the worm wants to get out, and here's where it gets even weirder. The worm burrows to the surface of the skin and creates a blister, and causes a burning sensation. It does this on purpose, because the worm has figured out that a burning feeling in a limb makes humans want to dunk it in water.

This is exactly what the worm wants. It pokes its wriggling head out of the blister, and releases its foul, milky brew into the water, containing hundreds of thousands more larvae. They are promptly eaten by water fleas and the whole thing starts all over again. :wink:

Well l hopefully it not put you all off your dinner tonight.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

John McKenna

Re: Horrifying Parasites on the Planet

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 am

I thought I'd be reading something about us humans but no. Surely we are the most horryfying parasites on the planet since we are well on the way to destroying it.
I am sure that won't put anyone off continuing their part in it. So I'll sign off with a clear conscience on that score.
Don't let the bedbugs bite...

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 am

Quick quiz question for you:

What species is the only mammal that is parasitic?

Answers on a postcard to....
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Afternoon team hope we all ok and keeping dry with all this rain.

The filarial worm is anther amazing parasites when bitten by a mosquito infected with the filaral worm this then happens to humans

After a year spent bumming around in our bodies, the worms mature into adults and finally take up the job they were born to do, by moving into the lymphatic system. Doesn't sound so bad...

Well, here's the thing. The lymphatic system keep excess fluids moving out of your body. It's one of those unnoticed bodily tasks that you don't appreciate until it stop working. Like if, say, a bunch of worms clogged it up. The filarial worm does just that, bunches of them all working hard in the vessels near the lymph nodes, causing those vessels to become obstructed and inflamed. waste starts backing up, and the tissue starts inflating like a balloon.

Finally, you wind up with massive and debilitating enlargements of the legs and genitals, a condition commonly known as Elephantitis .One can live for many years with this dreadful condition.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm

The only way out is up!

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:39 pm

PeterTurland wrote:The only way out is up!

That is very interesting indeed should have a new thread on it :D Wonder if any parasites are on the moon or planets that could wipe us all out.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Wonder if any parasites are on the moon or planets that could wipe us all out.
This one is reckoned to be dangerous:
parasite.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm

John Upham wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:Wonder if any parasites are on the moon or planets that could wipe us all out.
This one is reckoned to be dangerous:
parasite.jpg

What type is it and what does it do to the host? I do not recognize it from my data base of parasites. :D

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Peter D Williams wrote: What type is it and what does it do to the host? I do not recognize it from my data base of parasites. :D
I looked it up on ParasiteBase 13 and was it was apparently discovered on Ceti Alpha VI in 1982.

Your best defence would be large sideburns in the style of John McCririck.

Thankfully tough border controls such as those operating in Australia have prevented it migrating to Terra Firma.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:11 pm

:D
John Upham wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote: What type is it and what does it do to the host? I do not recognize it from my data base of parasites. :D
I looked it up on ParasiteBase 13 and was it was apparently discovered on Ceti Alpha VI in 1982.

Your best defence would be large sideburns in the style of John McCririck.

Thankfully tough border controls such as those operating in Australia have prevented it migrating to Terra Firma.
:lol: :lol: