The Pietersen Dismissal

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.

Bonkers or Brave?

Getting rid of England's best player
19%
Duplicitous
7%
Poorly timed
11%
Scapegoating
24%
Getting rid of a Changing Room Liability
7%
Out With the Old, In With the New
6%
Past his Best Anyway
11%
Not Before Time
6%
A Courageous but Necessary Decision
9%

Total votes: 54

Jonathan Bryant

Re: The Pietersen Dismissal

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:07 pm

David Robertson wrote: [Ed Smith's] book, Luck, is a good read. And his regular column in the New Statesman is excellent too

Agreed. Although a bit iffy when it comes to the chess bits, I feel.

Thanks for the KP link.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:47 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:With Ali/Borthwick there has to be the chance they might try to act like South Africa have done at times in tests with Duminy and not use an outright specalist spinner.
Maybe that's the Root role?
MartinCarpenter wrote:Borthwick was batting at 3 for Durham last season, averaged 39 to Stoke's 28 etc :)
It was incomprehensible to me that:
(1) Borthwick plays for Durham as a bowler who can bat a bit
(2) Durham then select him as a batsman, batting at 3/4, who hardly bowls
(3) England pick him as a bowler
Kevin Thurlow wrote:They took Adil Rashid on a tour, totally changed his bowling action, never used him in a match, and then forgot about him. He then spent two years struggling to get selection for Yorkshire (where we have a history of "difficult" people in charge), before doing pretty well last season. I assume he has got his old action back.
I think Yorkshire have tended to use him as a batsman who can bowl a bit, if not quite as much as Borthwick.
I think Ed Smith is excellent, both as a writer and commentator.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Taylor has sunk without a trace.
I don't think Taylor has been given a fair opportunity, and this may not be entirely unconnected with the Pietersen affair in 2012. Against the best Test attack around (South Africa) Taylor made a doughty and important 34 at Headingley, while Pietersen was batting magnificently at the other end, was out for 10 in the first innings at Lords, and was run out (Trott's error) for 4 in the second innings. Hardly conclusive evidence for retaining him or dropping him. Very strange. He also averaged 46 in the County Championship in 2013, so it is not a case of him losing form.
Last edited by Martin Benjamin on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:00 pm

All the options bar "Duplicitous" apply, in my opinion.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Principally I think just not very many middle order holes for Taylor to come into until just recently. Quite likely now in line for a long go at things. Especially in ODI's too you'd hope. Huge domestic one day average.

Rashid bowls quite a bit for Yorkshire but mostly did well batting last season - 800 runs at 50 from number 6, 29 wickets at 46 from ~360 overs. Borthwick managed 28 wickets at 38 from ~266 overs last season, but then few of Durhams opponents batted very long, especially so at Chester le Street! Ali seems a similar number of overs/wickets but slightly cheaper. (and a few more runs.).

Long term we likely either need to put Kerrigan's confidence back together (Aren't all those Lions tours meant to stop that sort of thing happening?) or poach Dockrell from Ireland.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:Taylor has sunk without a trace.
Your quote is incorrect; until now I haven't ventured any opinion. Fix it, please.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Sorry, but Ed Smith writes:
it is a mistake to think that managers and selectors "owe" fans a total explanation for their strategy or selections
That's wrongheaded. It's the fans what pay the salaries in the final analysis. If the fans walk away because they aren't treated as stakeholders in the success of their team, then the managers and selectors won't have anything left worth managing or selecting.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:I don't think Taylor has been given a fair opportunity, and this may not be entirely unconnected with the Pietersen affair in 2012. Against the best Test attack around (South Africa) Taylor made a doughty and important 34 at Headingley, while Pietersen was batting magnificently at the other end, was out for 10 in the first innings at Lords, and was run out (Trott's error) for 4 in the second innings. Hardly conclusive evidence for retaining him or dropping him. Very strange. He also averaged 46 in the County Championship in 2013, so it is not a case of him losing form.
Agreed. They just don't seem to like Taylor, for whatever reason. Perhaps now that Pietersen has left a spot in the middle-order... :!:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I found one particular selection in the squad for the ODI/T20 really bizarre. I follow county cricket reasonably closely, but I've no idea who Stephen Parry is. Research indicates he's Lancashire's #2 spinner in one day cricket.
Congratulations to Stephen on his England debut, being awarded man of the match :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:I found one particular selection in the squad for the ODI/T20 really bizarre. I follow county cricket reasonably closely, but I've no idea who Stephen Parry is. Research indicates he's Lancashire's #2 spinner in one day cricket.
Congratulations to Stephen on his England debut, being awarded man of the match :D
He got 3/32 against a poor WI side, one of the 3 being Sunil Narine. Joe Root's two wickets were arguably more valuable at the top of the innings.

I'll continue to reserve judgement for the time being. :wink:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 pm

I am trying to imagine what Fred Trueman's reaction to Joe Root taking the new ball would be. Still, it obviously works so far.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I am trying to imagine what Fred Trueman's reaction to Joe Root taking the new ball would be...
Turning - or should that be swinging - in his grave?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 pm

Not sure - Root being from gods own county might mean he gets a free pass ;)