Ukraine

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
NickFaulks

Re: Ukraine

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:59 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:50 am
As UK now has more F35s than pilots qualified to fly them, he might be lucky.
Does Ukraine have pilots qualified to fly F35s? Asking because I don't know.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:14 pm

This is relevant to this topic:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/kramnik-b ... on-the-war

Kramnik breaks his silence on the war

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:03 pm

Though not to actually say all that much.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:32 pm

Also relevant to this topic is this event at the UK parliament on 22 March 2023 (next Wednesday):

https://en.chessbase.com/post/uk-ukrain ... match-2023

UK vs Ukraine solidarity match reaches Parliament
The British chess boom reaches Parliament on Wednesday 22nd March, with two events hosted by the Speaker of the House of Commons, Sir Lindsay Hoyle. The first will be the opening ceremony of a UK vs. Ukraine Solidarity Match, with the UK number one, Michael Adams, taking on the Ukrainian champion Andrei Volokitin, who is currently living as a refugee in Poland with his family. In the second contest of the day over the board, the GMs will captain teams of MPs and Peers as they battle for bragging rights in a match between the House of Lords and House of Commons.
Earlier and similar event I noticed that also has a Chessbase article is this one from May 2022:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/ukraine-f ... atch-paris

Ukraine vs France solidarity match in Paris
Four French champions will gather at Blitz Society [...], the hip new chess meeting point in the heart of Paris, for a rapid match against four champions from Ukraine. The match will take place on Saturday, May 14, starting at 17.30 CEST. Donations for Ukrainian relief efforts are being collected by UNICEF!
There was also an event in Berlin on 1 March 2023:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/in-berlin ... or-ukraine

In Berlin: Solidarity simul for Ukraine
A year into Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the Berlin Chess Federation organized an event to mark its support for the Ukrainian people. First, a simultaneous exhibition was given by Ukrainian grandmaster Zahar Efimenko. Then, an international panel discussed the consequences of the war for the chess world.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:37 pm

Mickey is black in game 1 now underway
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:27 pm

Well."interesting" things happening in Russia just now.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:11 am

I am still worried that if Putin feels that he is losing the war. He could launch a low yield tactical nuclear weapon against Ukraine.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:26 pm

Just been announced that the leader of the Wagner group has been killed in a plane crash in Russia.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:26 pm
Just been announced that the leader of the Wagner group has been killed in a plane crash in Russia.
Unless you have heard more recent news I think what was said was that he was listed as a passenger on a plane which has crashed with no survivors. While it is probably the same thing I would like to see confirmation he was on board and his body if possible before I assume he is definitely dead. Otherwise the KGB could just be “disappearing” him.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:04 pm

It is now being widely reported that both he and another key Wagner operative were indeed on the plane in question.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:35 pm

"While it is probably the same thing I would like to see confirmation he was on board and his body if possible before I assume he is definitely dead."

Looking at the footage on BBC website, allegedly showing the crash, I think it would be difficult to identify anyone on board.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:00 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:35 pm
"While it is probably the same thing I would like to see confirmation he was on board and his body if possible before I assume he is definitely dead."

Looking at the footage on BBC website, allegedly showing the crash, I think it would be difficult to identify anyone on board.
Convenient if you have a suspicious mind.

As I said I’m not saying he definitely isn’t dead just that there’s a small (very small?) chance that he isn’t.

Edit

According to the BBC I’m not the only one with a suspicious mind. They quote a Dr Yuri Felshtinsky, a former advisor to the Ukraine Foreign Office, as saying he “wouldn’t be surprised” if Prigozhin had somehow managed to escape death.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:11 pm

"Convenient if you have a suspicious mind."

Yes...

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:12 pm

A prominent chess player receives the Order of Courage from President Zelensky in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/gmkovalenkoigor/sta ... g285Qx8etg

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:34 pm

Hypocrisy anyone?