A hundred years ago

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paolo Casaschi

Re: A hundred years ago

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:07 am

Colin S Crouch wrote:Sadly, we can go well beyond Chris Kreuzer's suggestion of five million killed in the Second Congo War. In my life-time (I am no spring chicken), the death toll in Mao's “Great Leap Forward” have been generally estimated at around 40 million, between 1958 and 1962. There is no reason to believe that this is anything other than reasonably accurate.
Smaller countries inevitably would have been able to kill off far fewer people, slightly less than 2 million by Pol Pot in Cambodia, between 1975 and 1979. Another great Maoist.
Marx's Communist Manifesto is often greatle regarded as an extremely original piece of literary work, and he showed great insights on 19th century industrial development. Unfortunately, his writing on collectivisation, when it was taken seriously by the communists, ended up in disaster. However great a thinker might be, he should not be regarded as a god by followers.
Oh dear, I was just wondering how long it would take for a thread about the war to produce some wise advice on ideology and politics.

Personally, I'm still puzzled how comes we still have wars in a world where every government of every country only has a "ministry of DEFENCE".