The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Alistair Campbell

Re: The English Language

Post by Alistair Campbell » Wed May 18, 2016 3:24 pm

John McKenna wrote:Hope an ump shouts, "NOBODY BOTHER TO FIELD THAT FLY BALL!!" (Because by the infield fly rule the batter is out.)
That appeared to come out of left field. I was umpiring last night - my instructions are to call "infield fly (if fair); batter (is) out". Off-topic, but surely the defensive team is entitled to field the ball as it remains live?

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Wed May 18, 2016 4:44 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:What's the difference between issuing and publishing then?
I think we have seen in this thread (I'm making an assumption here as I haven't bothered reading it all) that different words can mean different things in different contexts. Sometimes they mean the same thing.

I guess that a publisher will take an original work (possibly translated) and then edit it, adapt it, incorporate other words, pictures and diagrams, proof-read the proposed final document, finalise it, register it with whoever it needs to be registered with, have it printed and bound, marketed, distributed and sold.

"Published" might be a short-hand for the whole process. "Issued" might be a short-hand for part of the process - e.g. the part whereby copies of a book become available for sale. Then again, it might not.

Because words can have different meanings, a contract will usually define contentious terms. Of course, it may be implicitly assumed that some terms are mutually understood when this is not the case. It is often a good idea to get an expert such as an appropriately qualified lawyer to examine any contract prior to your signing it.

I would imagine printing and binding a book would not be classified as "issuing" provided the copies remain private. Once they become public then this becomes a problem. The owners of the material (the author and original publisher for example) will have been cheated out of possible sales, or their reputation may have been damaged.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:I think we have seen in this thread (I'm making an assumption here as I haven't bothered reading it all) that different words can mean different things in different contexts. Sometimes they mean the same thing.

I guess that a publisher will take an original work (possibly translated) and then edit it, adapt it, incorporate other words, pictures and diagrams, proof-read the proposed final document, finalise it, register it with whoever it needs to be registered with, have it printed and bound, marketed, distributed and sold.

"Published" might be a short-hand for the whole process. "Issued" might be a short-hand for part of the process - e.g. the part whereby copies of a book become available for sale. Then again, it might not.
You know, lawyers are interested in money-making. Where there is not much money (i.e., here where ot much people bother with such contracts), they are not interested.

Code: Select all

Because words can have different meanings, a contract will usually define contentious terms.  Of course, it may be implicitly assumed that some terms are mutually understood when this is not the case.  It is often a good idea to get an expert such as an appropriately qualified lawyer to examine any contract prior to your signing it.  

I would imagine printing and binding a book would not be classified as "issuing" provided the copies remain private.  Once they become public then this becomes a problem.  The owners of the material (the author and original publisher for example) will have been cheated out of possible sales, or their reputation may have been damaged.
I took the books from te publisher and distributed them myself. The publisher just did most of the pagination and hold the rights for printing.
Have I breached the clause this way?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 am

Alistair Campbell wrote:
John McKenna wrote:Hope an ump shouts, "NOBODY BOTHER TO FIELD THAT FLY BALL!!" (Because by the infield fly rule the batter is out.)
That appeared to come out of left field. I was umpiring last night - my instructions are to call "infield fly (if fair); batter (is) out". Off-topic, but surely the defensive team is entitled to field the ball as it remains live?
Alistair, you are probably right, technically.

Perhaps Home Director and rules expert Alex H would agree.

But I was using baseball as an analogy.

What if a batter hit a little dink and just managed to reach 1st base, relied on others to get him to 2nd, 3rd and finally to slide in for a run. Then immediately wanted to bat again, saying, "I made a run but my goal is to hit a home run so I must be allowed to have another go." Would you let him?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu May 19, 2016 5:13 am

John McKenna wrote:
Alistair Campbell wrote: But I was using baseball as an analogy.
What if a batter hit a little dink and just managed to reach 1st base, relied on others to get him to 2nd, 3rd and finally to slide in for a run. Then immediately wanted to bat again, saying, "I made a run but my goal is to hit a home run so I must be allowed to have another go." Would you let him?
If it is an analogy it should have a logical bases, right?
But how do you determine that the batter is not gonna hit well when he has not yet tried? As I have not yet published and distributed the books?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu May 19, 2016 11:18 am

If you think about it the logical basis for what I wrote is very simple - "publishing & distributing the books" (with the permission of the copyright owner) is the home run you are always trying to hit.

I "determine that a batter is not gonna hit well" by the number of times he swings and misses. You missed so many times the manager of the pro team sent you to dugout saying that he didn't want to see you in the batting lineup anymore.

You snuk out of the dugout and pitched up here in the bullpen and started throwing practice balls about, hoping the manager would notice or be told by the scouts what a great player you could be and that he'd relent and let you go to bat, yet again, so you can try to be a success by hitting that oh-so-elusive maiden home run.

I sincerely doubt you'll ever hit that homer and be accepted as a professional 'player' in the West.

Why not give up on that ambition and go home. Many baseball hopefuls are forced to admit that they can't hack it in MLB and go back from whence they came.

Or try softball - as old pro Geoff Chandler has suggested - instead of endlessly trying peoples' patience in this arena.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 pm

John McKenna wrote:Why not give up on that ambition and go home. Many baseball hopefuls are forced to admit that they can't hack it in MLB and go back from whence they came.
Cause it is not 'Play' or 'Bussiness' for me. I have devoted my time and energy to give birth to this work (with the help and -possibly- frustration of others, true, but it ultimately boills down to my own work & frustration). It is like a sense of personal attachment, not simply 'hope'.
And I no longer can 'go from whence I came'. I have grown old. I no longer have the energy of the past. Nothing is like before. There is no 'whence I came'. that 'whence' is destroyed, unrooted.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu May 19, 2016 9:08 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
John McKenna wrote:Why not give up on that ambition and go home. Many baseball hopefuls are forced to... go back from whence they came.
Cause it is not 'Play' or 'Bussiness' for me. I have devoted my time and energy to give birth to this work... And I no longer can 'go from whence I came'... I no longer have the energy of the past... There is no 'whence I came'. that 'whence' is destroyed, unrooted.
Uprooted and unrooted?

"Despised and rejected..."

Try looking at it this way...

There's nothing left, all gone and run away
Maybe you'll tarry for a while
It's just a test a game for us to play
Win or lose, it's hard to smile...(Steve Harley)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu May 19, 2016 11:24 pm

John McKenna wrote: from whence
John! Mouth, soap, water.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu May 19, 2016 11:39 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Have I breached the clause this way?
I don't know to which clause you refer.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 20, 2016 12:27 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Michael, now look here...

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... -be-whence

please.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 20, 2016 12:39 am

Alistair Campbell wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Have I breached the clause this way?
I don't know to which clause you refer.
Recommended reading -

http://www.nightattheopera.net/contract.html

After that one, dealing with any contract should be a doddle.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 20, 2016 4:15 am

Alistair Campbell wrote:I don't know to which clause you refer.
Clause 8. I though you've seen it. Here is it again:
8. The Publishers shall neither assign this license nor issue the said translation of the said work
under any imprint other than their own without the previous written consent of the Proprietors.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri May 20, 2016 9:22 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Alistair Campbell wrote:I don't know to which clause you refer.
Clause 8. I though you've seen it. Here is it again:
8. The Publishers shall neither assign this license nor issue the said translation of the said work
under any imprint other than their own without the previous written consent of the Proprietors.
Didn't we conclude that we need to know how "Publishers" was defined? But since the contract was never signed, the question is surely moot.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:
Michael, now look here...
http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... -be-whence

please.
(a) They are all incorrect.
(b) Even were they correct, the issue is also one of style and not merely grammar.
(c) Surely you expect me to demand the highest standards yence, just as I expect you would mence?