The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Ian Thompson

Re: The English Language

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 pm

This thread makes me pleased that English is my first language so I haven't had to learn it as a foreign language. :)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Why are trajectories differentiated from paths in English? I don't know how to reflect the differences.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:03 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Why are trajectories differentiated from paths in English?
Trajectory is the more technical word for something travelling through the air in a well defined manner. Path has a variety of other uses.

In a chess context, an author might write "the path to equality is ... ". I don't think anyone, not even Seirawan would write "the trajectory to equality is ... ".

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:56 am

I saw 'piece trajectory' in 'attack with Mikhail Tal'
But the4re is both path and trajectory in the paper I am translating:
For measuring the dissimilarity between trajectories as required by the procedure, they first introduced a cross-sectional approach-based general model that incorporated the time dimension, and then developed a specific model based on the compound interest idea to determine the time-dependent linear weights.
The boundary condition constraint requires the warping path to start and finish in diagonally opposite corner cells of the matrix. That is w1 = (1, 1) and wK = (m, n).
and will sure encounter other such terms

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:57 pm

Can 'overestimate' be used without an object? What does it mean then?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:29 pm

It probably means that the object was in an earlier sentence. What's the paragraph?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:22 am

Any good dictionary will include the abbreviation vt (usually in italics) after 'overestimate' to indicate it is a transitive verb and therefore requires an object.
IM Jack Rudd wrote:It probably means that the object was in an earlier sentence. What's the paragraph?
An example of the object preceding the verb "to overestimate" within a single sentence -

In the past when forecasting economic growth there was a tendency to overestimate.

In addition to being a verb overestimate can also be a noun if preceded by an article, i.e. an/the overestimate, or by a possessive pronoun, e.g. my/his/your/their/... overestimate.

Then it usually means an estimate (expected or predicted quantity/amount/figure) that turns out to be higher (over) than what is actually achieved.

NB: The pronunciation of the verb 'overestimate' is slightly differerent to that of the noun.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:30 am

Thx.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:52 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:It probably means that the object was in an earlier sentence. What's the paragraph?
... In a subsequent paper Goutte et al.[43] further illustrated the potential of the feature-based clustering method. First, they used only two features, namely the delay and strength of activation measured on a voxel-by-voxel basis to show that one could identify the regions with significantly different delays and activations. Using the k-means algorithm, they investigated the performance of three information criteria including AIC [31] , BIC [32] , and ICL [33] for determining the optimal number of clusters. It was found that ICL was most parsimonious and AIC tended to overestimate. Then, they showed that feature-based clustering could be used as a meta-analysis tool in evaluating the similarities and differences of the results obtained by several individual voxel analyses. In this case, features are resultsof previous analyses performed on the data.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:30 am

Just as I thought. The object of the verb "overestimate" is the phrase "the optimal number of clusters" in the previous sentence.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:21 pm

He was put to death to the4 relief of Hitler.

Means his killing actually relieved Hitler, or just that it was intended to?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:He was put to death to the4 relief of Hitler.

Means his killing actually relieved Hitler, or just that it was intended to?
That it did relieve Hitler.

In a chess context, an equivalent statement would be - "White offered a draw to the relief of Black." (e.g. Black thought he had a much worse position and was relieved when White offered a draw).

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 pm

What's thee discussion part in a scientific paper?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:30 pm

E.g.

http://www.instruction.greenriver.edu/m ... _a_sci.htm
Scientists have established the following format for "scientific papers”. A complete paper is divided into sections, in this order...

· Title Page
· Abstract
· Introduction
· Materials and Methods
· Results
· Discussion
· References
· Acknowledgments

Although this format is not cast in stone, most scientific journals use it or some variation there of...

The discussion section is where you explain your results in detail, speculating on trends, possible causes, and conclusions. Try to present the principles, relationships, and generalizations shown by the Results. And bear in mind, in a good Discussion, you discuss--you do not recapitulate-- the Results. Don't be shy; discuss the theoretical implications of your work, as well as any possible practical applications.

A good discussion section...

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:10 pm

What does ceteris paribus mean in:
I have often seen that claimed, though I have never seen a conclusive analytical demonstration that it is the case. But certainly, ceteris paribus, White has a clear advantage and reasonable winning chances
?