The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Barry Sandercock

Re: come with

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:13 am

I would say it depends on the position. If the pawn centre can be attacked successfully, it may not be such an advantage.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:22 am

Yes, exactly. GM Seirawan's comments apply to the specific position under consideration.

But, this is crossing the line from simply translating the text to questioning the accuracy of the statement or proposition. Dangerous and contentious territory!

Roger de Coverly

Re: all

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 am

Michael Flatt wrote:Although many Americanisms are widely understood here the concept of a "wide receiver" is alien to us. The term is untranslatable on this side of the Atlantic since American Football is not widely followed here.
Is it an equivalent position on the field of play to a winger in football? (Association or Rugby)

American commentators and authors are apt to use expressions unique to their form of a team sport with a ball, forgetting that the rest of the world won't have much of a clue. I suppose English commentators are just as guilty of using the numerous cricket metaphors available in British English.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 am

Michael Flatt wrote:Yes, exactly. GM Seirawan's comments apply to the specific position under consideration.

But, this is crossing the line from simply translating the text to questioning the accuracy of the statement or proposition. Dangerous and contentious territory!
What is the text saying? Am I right that he implies it will always be the case that a great amount of space always accompany a full pawn center? surely even IM Ghorbani isn't in a position to question the validity of GM Seirawan's statement-He is a FIDE trainer while GM Seirawan is a FIDE Senior Trainer.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:39 am

We come back to context.

Any statement is likely to have limitations or caveats associated with it.

Removing it or isolating a statement from its specific application opens it to misinterpretation or devalues its meaning and relevance.

It is not about ranking in terms of chess expertise or attainment as a player, it is recognising the central tenet and how it applies to the position under examination.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:02 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Michael Flatt wrote:Although many Americanisms are widely understood here the concept of a "wide receiver" is alien to us. The term is untranslatable on this side of the Atlantic since American Football is not widely followed here.
Is it an equivalent position on the field of play to a winger in football? (Association or Rugby)

American commentators and authors are apt to use expressions unique to their form of a team sport with a ball, forgetting that the rest of the world won't have much of a clue. I suppose English commentators are just as guilty of using the numerous cricket metaphors available in British English.
Yes, I wrote "wing player", but the translation lacks vigor I think.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:05 am

Michael Flatt wrote:We come back to context.

Any statement is likely to have limitations or caveats associated with it.

Removing it or isolating a statement from its specific application opens it to misinterpretation or devalues its meaning and relevance.

It is not about ranking in terms of chess expertise or attainment as a player, it is recognising the central tenet and how it applies to the position under examination.
Isn't the context in the first post enough?I was the whole paragraph.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:15 am

Sorry, Soheil, you misunderstand.

When comparing the views of different commentators or experts on a particular concept or principle and its limitations, each will most likely site a different example to emphasis the particular point they each are trying to make.

Presented with the same position it is more than likely that they will broadly agree.

The interest in chess is that there may be more than one way to play a position according to what one sees as an exploitable advantage and our favoured style of play.

The text book shows us, generally under ideal conditions, what to do. When we play the game we are on our own (or should be if we are playing correctly to the Laws of Chess).

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:27 am

Winger looks to be plausible choice.

Soheil, I get the impression that you are making a rod for your own back by being so insistent on making a literal translation.

In an Academic Treatise there may be reason to prefer a literal translation, but it would most likely be difficult and boring to read. An academic may appreciate your effort to stick as close as possible to the original phrasing and terminology.

I would suggest that to a lay reader the academic worthiness comes a distant second to readability and entertainment.

Having no familiarity with Iranian I leave it to others to assess how well your translation has succeeded.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:57 am

Michael,
I agree, you have summed it up very nicely.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: Having no familiarity with Iranian I leave it to others to assess how well your translation has succeeded.
If the original draft translation was written by an IM, the chess content is likely to make independent sense, particularly as this is a book for inexperienced players. It may not however convey elements of the author's writing style.

soheil_hooshdaran

pin/unpin

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:44 am

Hi.
What does "pin" mean in:
d79.tif
4. Bb7!
White pins the Black Bishop. If Black does nothing to unpin his poor Bishop, White will simply take it and be ahead by 3 points.
?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael Flatt

Re: pin/unpin

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:26 am

Soheil,

I have followed all your previous posts and tried to provide simple clear advice and explanations as have a number of helpful and more knowledgeable and erudite forumites.

I hate to appear rude but the nature and frequency of your posts do lack any real depth or interest, although occasionally they do spur an interesting tangential discussion. Sometimes responses have been intentionally obtuse to confuse you and provide entertainment for the respondent.

To be honest pin and unpin are straight forward tactical motifs that are are well explained in chess literature and other sources, such as Wikipedia.

Surely, you must recognise that it is incumbent upon youself to do some basic research and make some effort before calling for help. A teacher can help you learn to do sums, but he would be doing you and him a disservice if he did all your sums for you. Too much help will deprive a student developing independence and imagination.

You must recall the fable of the boy who cried wolf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

or Helaire Beloc's children's poem of Matilda
http://monologues.co.uk/Childrens_Favou ... Belloc.htm

By the way, I cannot access the tif file of the diagram, but in this case a diagram is not required since the meaning of pin and unpin are universally understood.

Please, accept my apologies for being so blunt.

Michael

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 am

Michael,
You've said what we are all thinking !

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:06 am

Thank you, Barry (and also for your comment on the sister thread).

I do consider that I have been well brought and tolerant, but there comes a time when something has to be said.

It was a struggle to overcome my natural English reticence.

Bad form, it is simply not cricket!