What would you do?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: What would you do?

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue May 10, 2016 8:57 pm

John McKenna wrote:
But why?
That's exactly the question a child asks his parents and teachers when he encounters a major disappointment in life after it's already been explained that in this world one will, sooner or later, meet insurmountable obstacles to personal gratification.

Eventually the young learn to deal with it, each in their own way. You are still young enough to learn to handle your trauma, too.

If you do not you will become a bitter and twisted old man like me.
Oh you are not very old.
Thank you for your time and effort.
I am totally confused. Maybe I have to publish it and pay the royalty and try to get them interested, showing that I am a "big enough fish".

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 11, 2016 12:31 am

... Thank you for your time and effort.
You're welcome.
I am totally confused...
I am sorry to hear that - the hope was to defuse, not confuse, you.

I admire your... never say die spirit.

In a famous old English novel by Charles Dickens there's an optimistic character called Mr. Micawber.

One of that character's favourite sayings was - "Something will turn up."

You never know, Soheil, you never know... something may turn up. :wink:

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed May 11, 2016 10:00 am

A safer way for me seems to be that I initiate my own bussiness, as did IM Kopec & IM Khemelnitsky in USA.

(It is just a matter of referring to the government and apply for it).

The problem is, after I initiate my own business and post a letter to Everymanchess, how do they recognize I am now in a publisher's position?
Last edited by soheil_hooshdaran on Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 11, 2016 2:34 pm

But you shouldn't want to be 'recognised'.
Get some fancy stationery printed up with an impressive letterhead with the company name writ large.
Have some friends as directors and a figurehead CEO and get one of them to sign the correspondence.
You remain in the background as a sleeping partner.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Well, if foreign publishers are only willing to work with a publisher , they should recieve my publication. I want to name it "soheil publication"!
The only reason for initiating a publishing company would be to have the foreign publishers recognize me. Otherwise, I am not a publisher and have no publishing expertise.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed May 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Catch-22: what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Your first egg didn't hatch but you're still trying to be the mother hen when you're actually a rooster.

Stay in the waiting room and let others give birth to your idea.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu May 12, 2016 9:17 am

John McKenna wrote:Your first egg didn't hatch but you're still trying to be the mother hen when you're actually a rooster.
:o
I got more confused. Am I a cock or a rooster?
Stay in the waiting room and let others give birth to your idea.
What does it mean?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 am

A cock and a rooster are the same so your question should be - am I cock or a hen?

It means that you should go to the waiting room in the maternity dept. of a hospital and you'll find out.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Thu May 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Displaying admirable self-restraint as well as the patience of Job in that last post.....

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu May 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks, Simon.

I did once lose my patience with Soheil, and a ton of bricks came down from on high as if the walls of Jericho had tumbled.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 pm

Where do you think lies the problem?They are not content with the royalty they themselves demanded or what?
Can it be that they just didn't cash the cheque since cashing that cheque would be non-economique for them?
Do I have better to ask for their PayPal® account? I found an Iranian website offering to pay to PayPal® (and possibly other)accounts?
Can it be that if I manage to sell, say, 2000 copies of the book after some years, the issue is resolved, and in your words, they don't see me as a big-enough fish yet?
Last edited by soheil_hooshdaran on Fri May 13, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri May 13, 2016 6:51 pm

John McKenna wrote:Thanks, Simon.

I did once lose my patience with Soheil, and a ton of bricks came down from on high as if the walls of Jericho had tumbled.
:roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri May 13, 2016 7:37 pm

This topic has reached well end of life as there is no solution to the problem Soheil has so it will be locked if nothing of worth is added.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri May 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Soheil - you say this:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I was never ever gonna disruppt a contract so important for me.
yet two lines earlier you said this
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I told them it's not fair that rich and poor countries pay the same price and possibly asked for a royalty option
Businesses do not like dealing with such apparent contradictions - they form the opinion that you are a troll or a timewaster.

I guess Everyman will not cash your cheque in case that is interpreted as evidence that some sort of contract exists.

I'm not sure how much the royalty was per book, but the fact that they quoted $1,000 suggests that it is at that price that they may consider doing business. (Personally I would have expected a much higher price, but as I've said, I know nothing about publishing).

If you are to do business in future, I recommend that you allow an intermediary to correspond and to conduct negotiations (which must be straightforward) on your behalf.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am

Alistair Campbell wrote:Soheil - you say this:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I was never ever gonna disruppt a contract so important for me.
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I told them it's not fair that rich and poor countries pay the same price and possibly asked for a royalty option
Businesses do not like dealing with such apparent contradictions - they form the opinion that you are a troll or a timewaster.

I guess Everyman will not cash your cheque in case that is interpreted as evidence that some sort of contract exists.

I'm not sure how much the royalty was per book, but the fact that they quoted $1,000 suggests that it is at that price that they may consider doing business. (Personally I would have expected a much higher price, but as I've said, I know nothing about publishing).

If you are to do business in future, I recommend that you allow an intermediary to correspond and to conduct negotiations (which must be straightforward) on your behalf.
Yes, publishers normally demand much higher-you are spot on.
To be honst, most publishers demand 1500$, or 800 GBP. Why he settled for 1000$ is because he realized his first demand of 1500 dollars is expensive for me.
I can still go for a one-time lump payment since I can sell some books to approximately compensate for it
Regarding your sentence:
It didn't break the deal-They generously welcomed the option and settled for a royalty option