What would you do?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: What would you do?

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am

Andrew Bak wrote:I can't believe this thread is still alive...
Why shouldn't it be?
My problem's not solved yet
Thankfully, some people are interestedto help me out.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 06, 2016 6:22 am

John McKenna wrote:Then I can only suggest that you do the following -

After another week, if you still haven't heard anything, get your brother-in-law and sister to write a formal letter asking, politely, from whom the translation rights can be purchased. And, if you are really serious about it, enclose a cheque for £50 (or $75) stating that it is payment for their time and effort in dealing with the matter.

Post the letter to London and wait at least one month for a reply.

If you still haven't heard anything let me know.

(Do NOT send any more emails unless you receive an email from them!)
Why do you thinnk the guy stopped from giving more replies after the first email, After all, I already sent them letters and a cheque

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 06, 2016 9:19 am

I am sorry to have to say that doing business with you is more trouble than it's worth to them.

People have already explained the mismatch between selling books in the developed economies of the West and the developing economies. Even in the West there is not much profit to be made for chess book publishers and that means projects such as yours are very unlikely to succeed in partnership with the London publishers. I am somewhat surprised that they even started negotiations with you in the first place.

Normally, I would have expected them to just sell the rights to translate the book(s) into Farsi for a lump sum. Once you started to bargain with them about the amount and method of payment you would make to them the partnership was doomed to failure. Believe me - such companies do not want to go round and round in ever diminishing circles, and when they perceive that is what is happening they will not proceed with the deal.

Your only hope is to get them to agree to sell you the translation rights and allow you to get on with it without further involvement on their part. However, I suspect that they know that you cannot meet the kind of price they would ask you to pay for those rights because you have already failed to make timely payment of a smaller sum, which they kindly but misguidedly started negotiations about with you.

You should realise that there is a mismatch in scale between their operations and yours - they are a well-orchestrated chess publishing company with many titles, but you are a one man band.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

You've got to come to terms with yours.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 06, 2016 11:55 am

John McKenna wrote:I am sorry to have to say that doing business with you is more trouble than it's worth to them.

People have already explained the mismatch between selling books in the developed economies of the West and the developing economies. Even in the West there is not much profit to be made for chess book publishers and that means projects such as yours are very unlikely to succeed in partnership with the London publishers. I am somewhat surprised that they even started negotiations with you in the first place.

Normally, I would have expected them to just sell the rights to translate the book(s) into Farsi for a lump sum. Once you started to bargain with them about the amount and method of payment you would make to them the partnership was doomed to failure. Believe me - such companies do not want to go round and round in ever diminishing circles, and when they perceive that is what is happening they will not proceed with the deal.

Your only hope is to get them to agree to sell you the translation rights and allow you to get on with it without further involvement on their part. However, I suspect that they know that you cannot meet the kind of price they would ask you to pay for those rights because you have already failed to make timely payment of a smaller sum, which they kindly but misguidedly started negotiations about with you.
Why do you think so?
My estimate was to sell 4000 copies within 2-3 years (which I have not yet tried), and I told the each book will sell for 2 dollars(which turned out to be 3+ dollars).
And we agreed by email to pay the royalty after each year, which I fully agreed.
It costs me some money, but that is what we agreed on it.
And it was not a long discussion to reach that. it was just that he offerred 1500 Dollars, and then he himself emailed me back offering 1000$ and after year or two, hinted by an Iranian user, I told them it's not fair that rich and poor countries pay the same price and possibly asked for a royalty option, and he offered me the royalty option and I agreed and resumed the translation.
I was never ever gonna disruppt a contract so important for me.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 06, 2016 2:00 pm

That's one side of the story.

The continued silence from the other side speaks volumes.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri May 06, 2016 4:26 pm

John McKenna wrote:That's one side of the story.

The continued silence from the other side speaks volumes.
But I don't understand those volumes; hence I started the thread

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun May 08, 2016 4:09 am

What do I need to include in that letter?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 08, 2016 2:55 pm

I've already told you that in my estimation the only chance you have of making any further progress is -
After another week, if you still haven't heard anything, get your brother-in-law and sister to write a formal letter asking, politely, from whom the translation rights can be purchased. And, if you are really serious about it, enclose a cheque for £50 (or $75) stating that it is payment for their time and effort in dealing with the matter.

Post the letter to London and wait at least one month for a reply.
It is best that you don't make any further approaches yourself at this stage - get intermediaries to do it for you.

The only way forward I can see is to persuade Everyman that selling you the translation rights to the book(s) is in their interest.

Unfortunately, as I have repeatedly said, the cost to you for the rights - even for just the one book you've already translated - is probably going to be more than you can afford to pay. It could take you years and several more translations, of Seirawan's other books, for you to make a worthwhile profit.

If they refuse to do business with you through intermediaries you could cut your losses by selling the remaining copies of your first translated book and sending Everyman a cheque for whatever percentage of the profits you think they are due.

Then if you really want to translate other English language chess books go to an Iranian publishing company and get them to approach the foreign copyright owners. Western publishing companies are usually more interested in dealing with other publishing companies than with individuals, apart from authors (who usually employ agents as their intermediaries).

You are too involved and tied up in this mess to untangle it - free yourself by cutting this Gordian knot and dropping it.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon May 09, 2016 3:10 am

John McKenna wrote:
Unfortunately, as I have repeatedly said, the cost to you for the rights - even for just the one book you've already translated - is probably going to be more than you can afford to pay. It could take you years and several more translations, of Seirawan's other books, for you to make a worthwhile profit.
Yeah, Gambit publications demanded 800 GBP for one of its books. Not having that much money, I asked ifI can pay it little by little and he immediately ended the email discussion, saying to the author that I didn't want to pay:)
If they refuse to do business with you through intermediaries you could cut your losses by selling the remaining copies of your first translated book and sending Everyman a cheque for whatever percentage of the profits you think they are due.
My brother in law also suggested I continue selling the books. I have but Is it not a breach of copyright?
300 books were nothing, considering that I gave about 37 books just to the publisher for registering the book, and showing in the book fare.I cannot even distribute that much in a country with 1048 cities (big and small) there have remained just a handful
Then if you really want to translate other English language chess books go to an Iranian publishing company and get them to approach the foreign copyright owners. Western publishing companies are usually more interested in dealing with other publishing companies than with individuals, apart from authors (who usually employ agents as their intermediaries).
I also have the option to become something called the author/publisher. I have to opt for ISBN, FIPA, etc by myself, but I wonder why some USA authors have their own businessthemselves.
No publisher is willing to pay big money for something not enforced.
You are too involved and tied up in this mess to untangle it - free yourself by cutting this Gordian knot and dropping it.
It would be nice, but I seem to find no one willing to do it for me. Although my brother-in-law gave me good info that a foreigner can be supported by the Iranian copyright law if there is a deal between the creator of the work and the foreginer copyright holder, my sister and him said nothing of the intermediacy upon learing of my problem.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 am

At least you're talking sense now.

It's a pity that things went wrong in the way they did.

What you were trying to do, however, was always going to be very tricky.

Other Iranians may have been able to help you -

تئوری بنیادی شطرنج
The Fundamental Theory of Chess
Hardcover, 688 pages
Published 2007 by انتشارات فرزین (Farzin Publications)
Original Title
Chess: Fundamental Theory
ISBN 9649000615 (ISBN13: 9789649000619)
Edition Language: Persian
Other Editions: None found

You could still approach Farzin Publications, or a similar company, and ask them for help and advice.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue May 10, 2016 9:48 am

John, Do you think I should send them a post after 1 week, or is it better that I translate a few more of the books in the series? I don't think this first book is gonna sell much.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 am

John McKenna wrote:At least you're talking sense now.

It's a pity that things went wrong in the way they did.

What you were trying to do, however, was always going to be very tricky.

Other Iranians may have been able to help you -

تئوری بنیادی شطرنج
The Fundamental Theory of Chess
Hardcover, 688 pages
Published 2007 by انتشارات فرزین (Farzin Publications)
Original Title
Chess: Fundamental Theory
ISBN 9649000615 (ISBN13: 9789649000619)
Edition Language: Persian
Other Editions: None found

You could still approach Farzin Publications, or a similar company, and ask them for help and advice.
Yes, Farzin is the prominent chess publishing company in Iran. Unfortunately they seem to be unwilling to deal with a foreigner in terms of copyright.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue May 10, 2016 11:53 am

Yes, Farzin is the prominent chess publishing company in Iran. Unfortunately they seem to be unwilling to deal with a foreigner in terms of copyright
So not only English publishers have reservations about dealing with "foreigners", it seems.
John, Do you think I should send them a post after 1 week, or is it better that I translate a few more of the books in the series? I don't think this first book is gonna sell much.
Soheil, it really doesn't matter, because you'll not get the answer you crave so much.

If after all this time you have not managed to persuade them to change their mind you never will.

You are to them a minnow and they have bigger fish to fry.

As the man loudly said, "...I AM NOT CORRESPONDING ANY MORE ON THIS ISSUE. PUBLISH THE BOOK, OR DON'T PUBLISH IT - IT IS UP TO YOU. "

The facts speak for themselves -

they never replied to the contract you sent them

they never cashed the cheque your relatives sent them on your behalf

they deny that they have the translation rights to Seirawan's other books in the series.

The rest is silence, and you should lay your turbulent and troublesome relationship with them to rest, silently.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue May 10, 2016 3:35 pm

John McKenna wrote:
The rest is silence, and you should lay your turbulent and troublesome relationship with them to rest, silently.
But why?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue May 10, 2016 4:09 pm

But why?
That's exactly the question a child asks his parents and teachers when he encounters a major disappointment in life after it's already been explained that in this world one will, sooner or later, meet insurmountable obstacles to personal gratification.

Eventually the young learn to deal with it, each in their own way. You are still young enough to learn to handle your trauma, too.

If you do not you will become a bitter and twisted old man like me.

[My guess is that you felt hard done by after things went sour with Everyman and that your chosen place to make an appeal for succour and restitution for your damaged pride was on this forum. It was probably the only place you would get a fair hearing. You've had a more than a fair hearing and there's simply nothing more that can be said or done here except - "that's all folks".]