What would you do?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Gareth T Ellis

Re: What would you do?

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 am

soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 am

Ray Sayers wrote:
It's like watching a car crash. Horrible, but you still look.

:D
At least you learn what was wrong, so as not to repeat the same mistake again
So you want us to not view any of your threads/posts in future! OK

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:05 pm

Gareth T Ellis wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 am

Ray Sayers wrote:
It's like watching a car crash. Horrible, but you still look.

:D
At least you learn what was wrong, so as not to repeat the same mistake again
So you want us to not view any of your threads/posts in future! OK
Where did I say that? You are welcome to view

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:52 pm

I am following the case so eagerly since Everymanchess had been nice to me
Another publication, when I asked if I could pay the money in parts (I didn't know the expression installment payment), thought I didn't want to pay the money!

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 pm

John McKenna wrote:Soheil, there's an English language simile - like a dog with a bone - that illustrates your behaviour regarding this matter. If you('ve) ever watch(ed) a dog with a bone you'll understand it.
... I HAVE SPENT FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON THIS!!
send contract to 10 Northburgh Street, London, EC1V OAT, U.K.

I AM NOT CORRESPONDING ANY MORE ON THIS ISSUE.
PUBLISH THE BOOK, OR DON'T PUBLISH IT - IT IS UP TO YOU.

ALL CORRESPONDENCE FROM NOW ON MUST BE VIA NORMAL POST TO LONDON.

I AM NOT REPLYING TO ANY MORE EMAILS!!!!!
The above quote is from -
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7851

Soheil, "... it is up to you."

Soheil, we've all "spent far too much time on this!!"

Soheil, please, drop this bone in hole, bury it and forget the location.

This bone has been picked clean of every scrap of meat and sucked dry of all the marrow.
Find other, better, bones of contention to gnaw at and grind on about if you're going bring any bones here.
You've done so before and amused rather than hassled the audience.
Where do you think lies the problem? Is it that they want a guarantee or what?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:02 pm

On a line between Tehran and Oslo there is a steady change in the way people approach business.

At one end of the line a business deal goes like this:

"How much is it?"
"50"
"Sorry, too much"
"OK. Hope to see you again. Have a nice day."

At the other end:

"So what price can you offer me"?
"5000"
"Man, you are joking. I'll offer you 5"
"Listen, I have a family to keep. Look, special price, 3000"
"Well, I hear what you are saying. I can give you 10"
"Come along - it's a really quality product - but I like you so what about 1000 - but I'm robbing myself"

[Missing out a lot of steps, including walking out of the shop and being fetched back in again]

"Right then, 50"
"40"
"48"
"Agreed my friend."

Therein lies your problem I suspect. It's a cultural difference.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 pm

I was not bargaining, Mike.
with very few correspondence we reached a rather good price.

He asked for a royalty and I gave it to him after finishing the sales of the first year-I asked my sister to send him a check with the books and she did that.
I didn't print much books, so I didn't sell much. Expensive voluminous chess books are priced around 4 pounds in Iran]
He knew that.
I also emailed the covers to GM Seirawan

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 pm

The book is to be considered to be taught in another university next month. I don't know what to do....

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:04 am

Any advice out there?

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Soheil

I have not followed the intricacies of this business, but I can see one consistent piece of advice from all parties, both interested and disinterested: there is nothing more to be done, and your best of course of action is to move on to something new. I know it is very hard to let go of a project to which you have devoted so much time and attention, but I have seen people in similar circumstances waste huge periods of their lives fruitlessly pursuing cases like yours in the face of reason and practicality, simply because they can't let go. It is your decision, but my impartial, disinterested advice is to let the matter rest. I suspect that is not the advice you want to hear, and I feel sorry for you, but it really is the best path down which to travel.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:42 pm

One problem with free advice is you get you pay for. That is to say, anything offered may not be of much value.

Few of us on this board will be lawyers. Fewer still will be experts on copyright law; I would imagine almost no-one will be an expert on copyright law in Iran (or wherever).

While I’m here, I’m not sure that I ever fully understood the issue.

As far as I can see, someone (Yasser Seirawan?) authored a book.

Soheil started a translation of this work into another language (Farsi?) and opened negotiations with the London based publisher of the above book related to this translation.

I assume that these negotiations included attempts to reach agreement on a combination of fee and royalties, although who was paying whom was never clear, and in any case, I don’t think negotiations were concluded. Despite this, the translation appears to have been published? All very bizarre.

Now it appears that
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:The book is to be considered to be taught in another university next month. I don't know what to do....
Does this mean that Soheil's translation is to be used as a teaching aid? In which state is the university? Again, I'm not clear what the issue is here. Is it that the University might be acting unethically? Or is the fact since the book appears to have been picked up, it has increased in value?

I think in the UK it is permitted to use small proportions of a work as a teaching material without breaching copyright, providing the original source is acknowledged and the amount quoted is not excessive (which is a vague term). In practice, such behaviour is likely to lead to more sales of rather dull textbooks than would otherwise be the case. However, I am not a lawyer, so my comment on this aspect of UK Law should not be relied upon at all.

One thing to do would be to consult a lawyer who is expert in the copyright legislation (if any) of the state in which this university is situated, but that might be quite expensive, for little reward.

The pragmatic thing may be to do nothing, however.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:53 pm

It was that we established a royalty amount and then I resumed the translation. I was to pay it to the publisher, and I did sent a cheque to them via my sister in USA, but they have not cashed it.
Iran doesn't consist of states, but of provinces. My city university picked it, and auniversity in Tehran will be considering it at the summit the next month, unless of course I tell them I'll not reprint it, which may seem foolish to them since there is no legal limit but only a moral one.
The copyright of Iran is simple: accordincg to article 1, as a translator, the right toreplicticate, redistribute, andprint of my translation is with me or my heir till 30 yeaars after my death. Article 2 says replicating publication in the original language and form is prohem\bited without the permission of the rightholder. Articles 2-4 are about accostic productions, and article 5 is about permissiblity of reprint for private use/nonprofit use. Article 6 says articles 2 & 3 will be valid for people of othher domiciliations as per a deal/contract. Accordig to article 12, the suing is dependant on the claiming of a private claimant. Anyway I was ready subject myself to the ruling of an English court, so they would be saved the headache.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:43 pm

I am thinking of an alternative book, but I can find none.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:08 am

I guess the problem is that they only sign contract with a publissher.
So I will try to become a publisher if that solves the issue with everyman chess.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:49 pm

Hey, I learnt something........
Copyright is not enforced in Iran BUT..........
there is an exception
except when you sign a deal

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:53 am

Do you think asking for a discount is going too far?