End of ISIS

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Peter D Williams

End of ISIS

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Afternoon friends :wink:

VLADIMIR Putin has dispatched his most elite special forces team to Syria to hunt down and wipe out Islamic State (ISIS) militants. The Russian supremo ordered the deployment of soldiers from his fearsome Spetsnaz unit to root out and eliminate packs of fleeing jihadis.The deployment of the Spetsnaz - the elite of the elite in Russia's army who have to undergo a gruelling training programme to earn their stripes - is the latest example of the leader's ruthless determination to shore up the rule of his close ally.

If only we had a leader like Putin

Well i do hope your all keeping dry this afternoon
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

MJMcCready

Re: End of ISIS

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm

Well if Russia fails and they form their own state we might see them at chess olympiad soon.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:04 pm

I presume they are the sorts who consider chess "un-Islamic", so probably not.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Afternoon friends :wink:

Well i do hope your all keeping dry this afternoon
Doubtless ISIS children will present a real challenge for the West.

Putin today is an ally against ISIL. I guess a significant part of ISIS today were children in Chechnya a few years ago.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Afternoon friends

Russian warships attack ISIS positions in Syria from Caspian Sea (VIDEO) https://www.facebook.com/RTvids/videos/ ... 397957179/

some other good news i have heard to
It has emerged that the military plan to involve Russia in Syria's war was formed in July after a visit to Moscow by an Iranian general.

Major General Qassem Soleimani's visit has led to Russian warplanes bombing rebels from above and Iranian special forces taking part in ground operations, reshaping the conflict.Maj Gen Soleimani is the commander of the Quds Force, the elite extra-territorial special forces arm of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, who reports directly to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Sources have told Reuters he has now been seen supervising ground operations against insurgents in Syria and planning the new Russian and Iranian-backed offensive.

some other reports that China may fight ISIS chinese aircraft carrier is reported to be near Syria.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 pm

IanCalvert wrote: Putin today is an ally against ISIL.
On what do you base that statement?

Today, Ash Carter, the US Sec. of Defence said that coalition forces fighting IS in Syria would not co-operate with Russia.

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:26 pm

John McKenna wrote:
IanCalvert wrote: Putin today is an ally against ISIL.
On what do you base that statement?

Today, Ash Carter, the US Sec. of Defence said that coalition forces fighting IS in Syria would not co-operate with Russia.
A couple of days ago there were reports of Russian air attacks on ISIL Palmyra positions.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 am

Let's not be naïve about this: Putin saw an opportunity to increase his influence in the area by paying lip service to the concept of fighting terrorism, and particularly ISIS, and this caught the US and the West completely off their guard.

The Americans know exactly what he is up to, but are not sure yet how to deal with it...

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:22 am

Americans should know, because its what we've been up to round there for a bit too. Very like a rerun of some of the least pleasant bits of the cold war :( You'd have thought they'd have learned the inevitable effects (totally wrecked countries) by now.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:Putin saw an opportunity to increase his influence in the area by paying lip service to the concept of fighting terrorism, and particularly ISIS, and this caught the US and the West completely off their guard.
No, not really.

Russia has a port in Syria - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartus. They are not so much trying to increase their influence in the area as protecting their interests as they did in Crimea, albeit on a smaller scale.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:Let's not be naïve about this: Putin saw an opportunity to increase his influence in the area by paying lip service to the concept of fighting terrorism, and particularly ISIS, and this caught the US and the West completely off their guard.

The Americans know exactly what he is up to, but are not sure yet how to deal with it...
My West Highland Terrier would catch call me Dave off guard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:10 pm

This thread involves a conflict with millions displaced, an unknown number killed and injured a whole state in disintegration and we get a picture of a dog. I'm sorry - I find that in very poor taste.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:22 pm

I think the superior canine alertness comparison over Cameron (& Obama) is not totally out of place.

Would you prefer a dog-eared account of the West's involvement starting with the real villains Blair & Bush and going back to Sykes & Picot?

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:24 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:This thread involves a conflict with millions displaced, an unknown number killed and injured a whole state in disintegration and we get a picture of a dog. I'm sorry - I find that in very poor taste.
That is why i support Putin who should be able to finish off ISIS the West has failed its had over a year of air strikes and ISIS is still going strong glad you like the picture of the dog :wink: if your lucky you may get a few of the usual suspects who post on here to agree with you.

Well it now time for a nice cup of tea.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:25 pm

John McKenna wrote:I think the superior canine alertness comparison over Cameron (& Obama) is not totally out of place.

Would you prefer a dog-eared account of the West's involvement starting with the real villains Blair & Bush and going back to Sykes & Picot?
Good point you bring up about Blair and Bush those 2 should be in the dock