End of ISIS

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: End of ISIS

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Keith Arkell wrote:Putin saw an opportunity to increase his influence in the area by paying lip service to the concept of fighting terrorism, and particularly ISIS, and this caught the US and the West completely off their guard.
No, not really.

Russia has a port in Syria - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartus. They are not so much trying to increase their influence in the area as protecting their interests as they did in Crimea, albeit on a smaller scale.
Brian, you omitted the last sentence of Keith's post -
The Americans know exactly what he is up to, but are not sure yet how to deal with it...
I think that implies Keith already knows that the limited Russian attacks on IS targets, such as Palmyra, are a sideshow and a cover for their current main aim - to halt the inroads made by non-IS opposition forces into Alawite areas of NW Syria.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/syrian-army-la ... es-1522914

Due to attrition Assad no longer has the (Syrian) manpower to hold those areas without the Russian air and Iranian ground support that Peter Williams has sketched out, above.

And, I don't see this as a "smaller scale" protection of Russian interests than the annexation of Crimea. No direct military consequences against Russian forces followed from that - in fact they even increased their covert military activities in SE Ukraine.

The Saudis have already said that they are going to supply the anti-Assad forces they support with heavier weapons.

On the BBC yesterday a US general said that the US should have cratered the Syrian runways used by the Russians to attack the Syrian opposition that were being supported by the US. Obama is, of course, not going to do that and the Americans, as Keith wrote, "are not sure yet how to deal with it".

Any suggestions?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Far too late now, but don't meddle in other peoples civil wars to start with :( It somehow seems to be impossible to resist but all you ever get out of it is (a long list of) smashed countries.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Where can I obtain the same rose tinted spectacles that PDW is unclearly looking through?

Time for nasty cup of tea and a picture of a past pet: I'm confident that this will be of zero interest.

Hopefully PDW will be called upon as a Newsnight commentator and analyst to provide penatrating insight.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:05 pm

I am afraid that every time I think Peter Williams says something sensible, I read another thread and see more old toss which always seems to include crap about Carol (sorry Carol) and her cooking, the weather and their pets etc etc ad infinitum. Sorry for the rant Carl and Jack - I am prepared to be banned for a short period!!

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:59 pm

But ISIS of Iraq still remains............:(

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:35 am

Soheil makes a good point.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Soheil makes a good point.
I sometimes do, thankfully.

Iraq is vey close to my city.Just 6 minutes drive or so.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Sorry to say that ISIS has killed an Iranian general.
Also, disgusting that US supports the Syrian rebels.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 am

"The US is to end its efforts to train new Syrian rebel forces and says it will shift to providing equipment and weapons to existing forces."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34486572

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:58 am

John McKenna wrote:"The US is to end its efforts to train new Syrian rebel forces and says it will shift to providing equipment and weapons to existing forces."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34486572
Yes, that is why I say US is fostering the turmoil. I got aware of it yesterday afternoon, when it appeared on my Facebook wall. It shows that US was helping the rebels up to this time and we were just being kept amused by hearing that US-led coalition is bombing ISIS.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:55 am

Oh, they not been trying to hide it. The US/UK (iirc others?) have - very obviously so from UK news channels - been interfering non trivially in this stuff before ISIS got involved at all :(

Imagine the bombing of ISIS is pretty genuine too mind.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:18 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:Oh, they not been trying to hide it. The US/UK (iirc others?) have - very obviously so from UK news channels - been interfering non trivially in this stuff before ISIS got involved at all :(

Imagine the bombing of ISIS is pretty genuine too mind.
Before ISIS got involved?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:58 am

The turmiol was fostered by the West. (President Bush senior should have toppled Sadam in 1991 after the invasion of Kuwait.) US foreign policy in the Middle East is now ineffective in addition to being defective. Putin's Russia has just taken over the fostering of turmoil in the region.
Where I mainly differ from Peter D. Williams on this is that I think there should be a question mark on the end of "End of ISIS". Peter's wish for a strong leader like Putin is very unlikely to be fulfilled either in the UK or, more importantly, in the US. The days of Teddy Roosevelt are long gone. Let's see what next year's US presidential election throws up.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:55 pm

Two other Iranian generals were killed.:(

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:30 pm

http://presstv.ir/detail/2015/10/13/433 ... sounizadeh

Also, there was an informative Radio 4 Analysis programme on Sunday about the legacy of the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq War.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06fkm3g