Pancake Day

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Joey Stewart

Pancake Day

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Dont forget, everybody, its pancake day today. I'm looking forward to a pancake feast tonight, hoping to eat at least 10 this year.

How many pancakes are you planning on having??
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Peter D Williams

Re: Pancake Day

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:Dont forget, everybody, its pancake day today. I'm looking forward to a pancake feast tonight, hoping to eat at least 10 this year.

How many pancakes are you planning on having??
Afternoon friends :wink:

Yes i be eating a few pancakes tonight cooked by Carol and i shall put plenty of Canadian Maple Syrup on them so yummy shame you lot will never taste Carol fine pancakes. We will of course make some for when Peter comes back from University in March.

Shrove Tuesday (known in some countries as Pancake Tuesday) is a day in February or March preceding Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), which is celebrated in some countries by consuming pancakes. In others, especially those where it is called Mardi Gras or some translation thereof, this is a carnival day, and also the last day of "fat eating" or "gorging" before the fasting period of Lent.

Well Its time for a nice cup of tea.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Great thread! As much as i'd like some, I can't be arsed making any. That is all.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Shrove Tuesday (known in some countries as Pancake Tuesday) is a day in February or March preceding Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), which is celebrated in some countries by consuming pancakes. In others, especially those where it is called Mardi Gras or some translation thereof, this is a carnival day, and also the last day of "fat eating" or "gorging" before the fasting period of Lent.
Fasching is what it's called in Germany (perhaps just the south? Maybe the northerners are a bit too po-faced to really let go) where it features outrageous fancy dress and copious overindulgence in alcohol.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Alas, I failed in my mission to eat 10 pancakes - all that sugar and lemon takes its toll after 6....

Good pancake session though, that should see me through another year.

I noticed hardly any places seem to sell pancakes, and there are probably lots of hungry chess players who missed out thanks to being unable to cook. Maybe next big event I could bring along a little propane tank and make a few for people.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Hilarious - Joey and Peter Williams in one thread. What more could you ask for.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:16 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:I noticed hardly any places seem to sell pancakes, and there are probably lots of hungry chess players who missed out thanks to being unable to cook. Maybe next big event I could bring along a little propane tank and make a few for people.
I think in upmarket parts they are called crepes. The two main differences are that crepes are much thinner and, paradoxically, you can charge more for them.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:29 pm

I had a pancake as my third pudding today. It was very nice.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:03 pm

John Moore wrote:Hilarious - Joey and Peter Williams in one thread. What more could you ask for.
Good to hear you like my thoughts on this thread.I know who would like a pancake Wilson our West Highland White Terrier well i do hope your all enjoying the sunshine today but do remember to wrap up warm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.