Two books on the same event, what to do?!

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Two books on the same event, what to do?!

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:18 am

Hello.
As you know, there are two books on Zurich 1953, one by David Bronstein and one recently by Miguel Najdorf. Is it a good idea to translate one and mention the other one's comment in the process? Note then I have to get the permission from the two and that when I emailed dover publication, he said that I contact the russian publisher and I couldn't find it:
Dear Sheila,

Dover is the publisher of the Bronstein's English translation titled 'Zurich International Chess Tournament 1953.' The translation is from the 2nd Russian edition, done by Jim Marfia. As David Bronstein, the Grandmaster, died in 2006, we, however, do not hold any subsidiary rights to this title. I would suggest you go back to the original Russian work.

Sincerely,
Joann Schwendemann
And that I don't know much Russian

Mike Gunn

Re: Two books on the same event, what to do?!

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:44 pm

John Watson backs the Najdorf book. Seehttp://theweekinchess.com/john-watson-r ... by-najdorf.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:27 am

Oh, thank you.

Yes, it is very important to bring a book up-to-date. I remember GM Ghaemmaghami told me to footnote Seirawan's book!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:18 am

... Note then I have to get the permission from the two and that when I emailed dover publication, he said that I contact the russian publisher and I couldn't find it...
The original Soviet publisher is given below -

Zurich International Chess Tournament 1953 (English translation 1979).
Published July 1st 1979 by Dover Publications (first published 1956)

Published 1956 in Russian by Fizkultura i sport (Физкультура и спорт)

"Since 1995 the publisher is not under control of the government, it's the joint-stock company." (Wiki)

Whether the company "Fizcultura i sport" still exists or not is unclear to me.

If all else fails you could try contacting Books.Ru Ltd. at -

http://www.books.ru

Question - who did the English translation for the 1979 Dover edition of Bronstein's book?

(The John Watson article shows that Taylor Kingston translated the 2012 English version of the Najdorf book from Spanish.)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 am

John McKenna wrote:
Question - who did the English translation for the 1979 Dover edition of Bronstein's book?

Jim Marfia (https://www.facebook.com/jim.marfia)

and proof read by Jim O'Keefe.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:33 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:As you know, there are two books on Zurich 1953, one by David Bronstein and one recently by Miguel Najdorf. Is it a good idea to translate one and mention the other one's comment in the process?
I imagine it would take quite some time to translate one book - it was a big tournament (a 15-player double round-robin). If you also add comments from the other book that will add considerably to the task as the books are quite different from each other (as John Watson's review - see Mike G's post above - makes clear).

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Angus French wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:As you know, there are two books on Zurich 1953, one by David Bronstein and one recently by Miguel Najdorf. Is it a good idea to translate one and mention the other one's comment in the process?
I imagine it would take quite some time to translate one book - it was a big tournament (a 15-player double round-robin). If you also add comments from the other book that will add considerably to the task as the books are quite different from each other (as John Watson's review - see Mike G's post above - makes clear).
I know
but a good work takes time.
My problem is with getting the permission. Do I have to get the permission for both books?
And they are translated, So who to get permission from?

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:My problem is with getting the permission. Do I have to get the permission for both books?
I don't know. It might be wise to consult a lawyer with expertise in international copyright laws.

I believe that the original work is copyrightable. I believe a translation, despite being a derivative work, is also copyrightable.

I would guess that if you want to translate the translation, you would need permission of both owners of copyright. If you want to include excerpts from the other translation, maybe you need four permissions?

Of course, it is believed the actual moves are not copyright. It must be hard to copyright some basic, obvious comments such as "Bd3 develops a piece, attacks the centre and prepares the king for castling". Quoting small bits and acknowledging their source might be acceptable. Lifting large chunks wholesale might not be.

Perhaps Justin Horton could comment?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 am

Alistair Campbell wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:My problem is with getting the permission. Do I have to get the permission for both books?
I don't know. It might be wise to consult a lawyer with expertise in international copyright laws.
Since copyright is not enforced in Iran and good money is not involved, lawyers don't bother to deal with international copyright.
If one is going to observe it, it is purely as a moral/religious obligation and is a risk at the expense of the person who trusts the foreigner. It is like gambling. Awful.