EU Referendum - in or out?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: EU Referendum - in or out?

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:20 am

Angus French wrote:This prediction market still (after Newcastle and Sunderland results) giving a win for Remain.
Trust a trader, Angus?

I'd rather believe a Polish worker -

http://www.euractiv.com/section/future- ... le-brexit/

Chris, Ed Miliband says Labourites are not enamoured with UKIP, but fed up with austerity so they are voting against the PM & Chancellor.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:58 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Rumour that one London area (Lewisham) 83% in favour of remain. If that is replicated across London, it will really turn out to have been (effectively) London against most of the rest of the country. Maybe Newcastle was an outlier and the Labour vote in the north-east is collapsing and turning to UKIP (I know, it is a referendum, not an election, but that pattern may have an effect).
Chris, Ed Miliband says Labourites are not enamoured with UKIP, but fed up with austerity so they are voting against the PM & Chancellor.

Labour's Chris Bryant on Ed...

http://a1.am/en/uk/2016/06/24/labours-c ... -a-tosspot

Edit: Bury voted to leave.
Last edited by John McKenna on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:01 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Rumour that one London area (Lewisham) 83% in favour of remain. If that is replicated across London, it will really turn out to have been (effectively) London against most of the rest of the country. Maybe Newcastle was an outlier and the Labour vote in the north-east is collapsing and turning to UKIP (I know, it is a referendum, not an election, but that pattern may have an effect).
Yes, it's London versus the rest of the country, just like it has in fact been for years but in sharper relief. Whatever the result tonight, this is only the beginning.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:09 am

The beginning of the end?

'Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.' (Haruki Murakami)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:23 am

The national economic numbers disguise the fact that outside London the country has been in recession for eight years. Perhaps people are finally waking up to what the financial industry has done to them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:27 am

London obviously going very, very heavily for EU. Where are the international observers when you need them? Kept out, of course.

edit : watch out for Tower Hamlets having more Remain votes than they've got voters.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 am

NickFaulks wrote:London obviously going very, very heavily for EU. Where are the international observers when you need them? Kept out, of course.

edit : watch out for Tower Hamlets having more Remain votes than they've got voters.
Wandsworth heavily for remain, Barking for leave.
... Perhaps people are finally waking up to what the financial industry has done to them.
Thanks, I'm going to get some sleep, now, with that thought in mind. Hope I wake up having left.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:22 am

BBC giving 75% chance to Leave. Clearly wrong and not agreed by betting markets, which recognise that big London votes are being held back until the end. Seen it before in Chicago.

Waiting for a "City expert" who doesn't use the word "incredibly". No luck so far.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:36 am

John McKenna wrote: Thanks, I'm going to get some sleep, now, with that thought in mind. Hope I wake up having left.
It really looks as though you will get your wish, and whatever plans they had in their pocket in dodgy areas of London are futile. Don't know about you, but I've been living for this day since we were cheated in 1975. This is only the beginning, there will now be all manner of dirty tricks, and of course the idea of Cameron being the man who negotiates exit terms doesn't bear thinking about. Interesting times start tomorrow.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 am

Lovely - nice to know I am in control as I watch the value of my pension fund fall off a cliff today. Oh wait - those 'economic experts' don't know what they are saying. Ho hum.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:58 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
What I don't get is why people register to vote and then... don't vote. I don't mean those with genuine reasons, but those who forget or just can't be bothered. Is it because getting to the polling station is too difficult or people don't know where their polling station is or don't receive/lose their polling card (telling them where to vote)? Would some form of online/digital voting help increase turnout?
It's technically illegal not to register but it is not illegal not to vote. I did vote in the referendum, but never vote in elections as a deliberate expression of viewpoint - namely that I will not participate in a system that is fundamentally rigged. (Principally by the non-proportional system, but also by the preference and advantages given explicitly to long-established parties, who receive extra publicity on the basis of their performance at past elections and so enter future ones with a strongly added advantage).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:32 am

Oh dear
Any postings on here represent my personal views

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:43 am

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:58 am

Well, if the margin had been 52-48 the other way, we'd have heard loud calls for another vote

Turnout 72.2%

Leave 37.5%
Remain 34.7%
Did not vote 27.8%

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:04 am

Scotland (heading for another referendum I guess)
Leave 38%
Remain 62%

Wales
Leave 52.5%
Remain 47.5%

N Ireland
Leave 44.2%
Remain 55.8%

England
Leave 53.4%
Remain 46.6%

Manchester (note, not Greater Manchester as a whole, which had a leave majority)
Leave 39.6%
Remain 60.4%