EU referendum aftermath

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Sean Hewitt

Re: EU referendum aftermath

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:38 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:Meanwhile Watson & Eagle rule themselves out.
Au contraire, Angela Eagle has confirmed she is mounting a leadership challenge.

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 pm

It's bad enough that a few dozen frontbench labour MPs have spontaneously resigned at two hourly intervals but when a highly respected prime minister whose only minor error has been getting the wrong result on his 'sure thing' referendum says
David Cameron wrote:It might be in my party’s interest for him to sit there. It’s not in the national interest. I would say – for heaven’s sake, man, go.
it's hard to see how Jeremy can survive this attack from a comparatively objective person. :(

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Of course, David Cameron may have been mischief making; if the leader of the opposite party says he should go, that makes it less likely he will go and gives the Conservative Party an advantage in any election. Think sneaky!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:29 pm

This one is too funny:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... out-farage

Is there anybody, anywhere, who doesn't want to split their party? Westminster is first past the post people!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 pm

I have found the article
Labour leadership rules
Pro-Corbyn factions within the parliamentary Labour Party say as leader he will automatically be on the ballot paper, but others dispute this.
They point to a Times article in November 2015 which reported that legal advice had been sought by the party which suggested a sitting leader would need to receive nominations from MPs and MEPs in order to stand again.
The only time since 1945 that a sitting Labour leader has been challenged was in 1988 when Tony Benn sought to topple Neil Kinnock. Neil Kinnock says he had to be endorsed by members of the PLP in order to get on the ballot - which some argue has set a precedent.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Corbyn *has* to be on the ballot paper - legal niceties (hotly disputed in any case) don't matter.

(given 40 MPs stayed loyal yesterday, he would probably have the numbers anyway)

Keeping him off via "bureaucratic" means would almost certainly mean a terminal split.

Not even the PLP (well, most of it - there are some totally out of their minds) is that stupid IMO.

For the record I did not vote for JC last year and am unlikely to do so now if his opponent is somebody sensible like Eagle.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:Of course, David Cameron may have been mischief making; if the leader of the opposite party says he should go, that makes it less likely he will go and gives the Conservative Party an advantage in any election. Think sneaky!
If this was npt such a serious matter, it would make a good comedy farce..
Its a pity that Corbyn didn't have the whit or presence to reply to Cameron. "That's rich coming from someone who said he was not a quitter"
The whole thing has degenerated into a circus... giving the media some very easy stories to play with.

If they are just going to appoint a new Tory leader, who will negotiate a fresh trade deal with the EU zone, including new costs of `joining`, and sharing other areas like defence, environment, etc... which will doubtless save us little money, then why is Cameron `leaving` and why are we leaving the EU.
Will we really get some `cheap deal`... will we really get control of immigration... and will we take control of our destiny.
And what if Scotland actually does break away from the UK.. etc.
For my money, we`d be far better off saying to our EU partners that we`ll give them 3 years to demonstrate a serious intention to reform the EU, and if they fail, then we`d look at pulling the trigger to EXIT the EU.
Nobody denies that the EU model is not working and needs major reforms, including its EURO currency structure.
And it appears that a number of other EU countries are not happy with the current arrangements and the `free movement` arrangements.
So lets get back around the table, with Cameron retained in post, and try harder to fix this shambles, rather than engage in this panic exercise, and upheaval, just because the `market` wants quick action, because they cant live with uncertainty. So here we are in this crazy mess, with everyone pointing fingers and trying to pass the blame for the failings.
BRING BACK THE BCF

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 pm

David Pardoe wrote: Its a pity that Corbyn didn't have the whit or presence to reply to Cameron
It is a pity that Corbyn and Milliband before him have missed every single open goal presented to them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:51 am

This one was not an open goal; Cameron hit the last shot of the match. Cameron waited till Corbyn had asked his allotted questions and so Corbyn had no opportunity to reply to this one.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 am

Brian Valentine wrote:This one was not an open goal; Cameron hit the last shot of the match. Cameron waited till Corbyn had asked his allotted questions and so Corbyn had no opportunity to reply to this one.
Some politicians would have seen this coming and got their retaliation in first.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:37 am

Interesting listening to Bolton South East MP Yasmin Qureshi just now on Radio 5 live

I see she is supporting chess friendly Tony Lloyd for Manchester Mayor, but not heard what she thinks about Labour Leadership

I see from her Twitter feed that Boris wanted Turkey to join the EU in 2006
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:57 am

Anyone care to cast a glance into their crystal ball for the Tory leadership race (and our next Prime Minister!)? Maybe wait until lunchtime, as that is when all the nominations should be in by. Should be Crabb, Fox, Gove, Johnson, Leadsom, May. Four men, two women. Four Leave and two Remain. Other possibles: Buckland, Hunt, Morgan.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:13 am

I think Theresa May made it clear this morning that her Remain days are now entirely forgotten.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:54 am

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:59 am

Boris Johnson has pulled out of the Tory leadership race (i.e. he is not standing)!
Announced at a press conference 15 minutes before deadline. Wow. :shock: