Traingate and Mr Corbyn

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Moore

Traingate and Mr Corbyn

Post by John Moore » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:28 pm

Let's start this off with me saying that I have a lot of time for Jeremy who I met in a couple of meetings in my previous employment. But I don't understand the London to Newcastle train fiasco. If he knew he and his team were going, why didn't they reserve seats. If there were no seats left to reserve - and it can happen - you sit where you can, even if it's not next to your wife.

I also don't understand why he didn't just accept the upgrade to First class. Are his supporters going to think better of him because he sat on the floor. All that happened as a result was that the train staff moved a family into First class, so Jeremy and the rest of his team could sit together in Standard class.

I don't mind if Jeremy accepts an upgrade - do Momentum.

That's aside from making a video which was fairly daft.

I feel a wind from the North and it's name is ---- -----.

John Moore

Re: Traingate and Mr Corbyn

Post by John Moore » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Well alright the West - he sounds like a Northerner to me.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:16 pm

Corbyn's rather like Trump - the more the establishment goes gunning for him, even with cause, the more his supporters like him.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:23 pm

John Moore wrote: I feel a wind from the North and it's name is ---- -----.
John Moore?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:32 pm

John Moore wrote: I also don't understand why he didn't just accept the upgrade to First class.
Probably because he didn’t want to get an upgrade for being who he was when similar treatment wasn’t available to all.

Or he wanted to make a point. Or be seen to be making a point. Choose from those three, I reckon.

I’ve not been following the issue in great detail - haven’t seen the cctv video or the video that Jezzer made in the first place, for instance - but I do think that it took some front for Richard Branson to call Corybn out for dishonesty. Whether the labour leaders pants were or were not on fire, Virgin Media repeatedly and systematically tell egregious lies to their customers. Dickie Brason should be putting his own house in order before pointing the finger elsewhere.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Irrelevant who owns the train - if a politician walks past a bunch of empty seats, parks himself on the floor and releases a film of this to criticise the train owner, that owner has the right to defend themselves.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:Irrelevant who owns the train - if a politician walks past a bunch of empty seats, parks himself on the floor and releases a film of this to criticise the train owner, that owner has the right to defend themselves.
Yes, but not to breach the Data Protection Act in doing so
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Mick Norris wrote: Yes, but not to breach the Data Protection Act in doing so
It wouldn't even occur to Sir Richard that such details might apply to him.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Indeed not, does he play chess?

Jeremy safely got a seat on this mornings Euston to Glasgow Virgin train though
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:Irrelevant who owns the train ... that owner has the right to defend themselves.
You’re rather missing the point. I’m not disputing his 'right'