British overseas possessions

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

British overseas possessions

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Apologies in advance if what follows widens the discussions here too much, or if it shuts them down completely for a while (which is not a always a bad thing)...

After spending about 40 years in the wilderness - as a pro-EU Republican sympthiser - all in favour of handing back all overseas posessions (British, UK or otherwise) to their nearest-but-not-necessarily-dearest neighbouring countries (while always giving a firm commitment to repatriate those people, and their goods & chattels, who did not wish to remain) I found myself at the end of my tether due to the increasing credibility gap between the UK and EU institutions and those involved in them, which led me to snap back and vote, against my better self, for Brexit.

The Germans and French had continued, during my wilderness years, with their surreptitious anti-Anglo-Saxon alliance - in the fine spirit of De Gaulle, and the English continued their staunch Churchillian fence-sitting excercises when it came to favouring the EU or the US modes of operation as a nation.

Finally, I realised that the English have been defeated, at the political and economic games they'd invented, by the Continentals - the US had already defeated British and other European Empires during and following WW II.

The EU Referendum result contained an implicit admission by the majority of the people of England & Wales that they'd lost faith in the EU. (The Scots & Northern Irish voters did not have the numbers to overturn the votes of the English & Welsh and most of the mainstream politicians and the establishment wanted to continue to endlessly play on the losing UK punter's hand, against the EU house, due to the fringe benefits they accrued unto themselves and their entourages while remaining at the table.)

Expect the Hausfrau and her soon-to-be-acquired French poodle to extract as much political blood and economic treasure as possible from the escapee if a return to the fold cannot be managed within the next 2 years.

Now that the UK looks like leaving the EU it is better to hang on to all overseas possessions, since they may be needed as bases from which to project both soft and hard power at prospective opponents.

Indeed, extra territory may need to be acquired. Calais and other Channel ports may need to be retaken from the recalcitrant French, if they insist on leaving them as bases for international people smuggling.

The British sector of Berlin may need to be reestablished if the avaricious Germans insist on relocating sections of London to Frankfurt and points East.

Even the base in far-flung Cyprus may have to be used to singe the beard of the Grand Turk, if push comes to shove...

By the way, I was pleased to see that old and dear friend, Malaysia, allowed the squadron of RAF Typhoons - we recently sent to help threaten N. Korea - to land, train and refuel enroute.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/typhoon ... -exercise/

That's what friends are for in the great game.

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/searc ... -Bonaparte
Last edited by John McKenna on Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: British overseas possessions

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri May 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Split from the topic it was posted in, because it has nothing to do with Soheil's chess aspirations.

John McKenna

Re: British overseas possessions

Post by John McKenna » Fri May 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks, Jack, I expected to be torn off a strip.

Just as well Soheil is a chessplayer otherwise he might have tried to take possession of the World.