Wikipedia Article on ECF grading

General discussions about ratings.
Paul McKeown

Wikipedia Article on ECF grading

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Frankly I found the article uninformative and rather POV.

I added the following comments to the chess discussion page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Chess#ECF_grading wrote:The following text comes from the ECF grading article:
'Compared to the 'four-figure' rating system used by FIDE and other national federations, based on the Elo formula, the ECF formula is much less sophisticated. As a result, however, it is quite easy for a player to keep track of their own ECF grade from game to game whereas an Elo is a little more difficult to calculate. Conversion from ECF to Elo traditionally uses the formula:

ECF x 8 + 600 = Elo

This substantially deflates the predicted ELO grades of sub-master strength players compared to observations, so for players graded ECF 215 or below the ECF have issued the formula

ECF x 5 + 1250 = Elo

to replace it. This substantially inflates the Elo grades of much weaker players, but such players are less likely to need an international grade.

The current ECF board prior to their election expressed a desire to move to the Elo system within a few years subject to approval from ECF members.'

This seems pretty poor to me for the following reasons:
1. Why does one suggest that the "formula is less sophisticated"? RWB Clarke spent some considerable effort producing a grading system that was both simple to operate and yet of statistical value. I would suggest that the formula is, perhaps, "less complicated".
2. The translation formula "ECF x 5 + 1250 = Elo" is somewhat short of the truth. That formula applies only to the conversion of ECF grades to FIDE ratings. The old "ECF x 8 + 600 = Elo" still applies to the conversion to national Elo ratings. There is a strong distinction, although the writer of this article appears to be unaware of it.
3. The formulas given are no longer valid, given that the ECF grading system has now been subjected to a, somewhat controversial rescaling exercise. Formulas should be given for three date ranges, traditional, recent but pre-rescaling and post-rescaling, to both FIDE and national Elo systems, with note of applicable grading ranges, where that is relevant. It would also be useful, if a conversion section is given, to mention that various national 4 figure scales tend to be have higher or lower numbers than those given by the formualae (e.g. USCF numbers are generally thought to be 100 points higher than suggested by the formulae.)
4. I think the words "inflate" and "deflate" are out of place here. They generally refer to a perceived drift in the ECF grading scale, before the recent re-scaling. And anyway, the real reason that the formulae were revised was that FIDE ratings below 2300 had tended over the previous 5-10 years to inflate, given the effect of dropping the entry level from 2200 to 2000 (and lower still even later).

I think the article also misses any sense of history, failing to mention the work that RWB Clarke put into. It also misses any sense of statistical underpinning to the ECF grading system. It also lacks any statement about the properties of the scale. And finally it leaves out the fact that for half of its existence, it was not a three figure scale, but a two figure scale (1a down to 6b and below).

Regards,
Paul McKeown.
I am not really a fan of wikipedia, although I do find it useful from time to time. I tend to find the process laborious and prone to all sorts of nutters, trolls, propagandists, preachers, haters, self-righteous, etc. I find it occasionally useful, but am wary of relying on it without checking things from several other sources, and couldn't usually be a**sed to correct it or improve on (for fear of being dragged into the whole Bart Simpson, "Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and win on experience" experience.) Nevertheless, I do see the value that an informative, detailed, correct and NPOV article on ECF grading would have. If anyone here felt the urge to do this, then plaudits from me.

Regards,
Paul McKeown.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Alex Holowczak

Re: Wikipedia Article on ECF grading

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:34 pm

A quick look at the history can reveal some of these issues. It's not been maintained.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Frankly I found the article uninformative and rather POV.
I am not really a fan of wikipedia, although I do find it useful from time to time. I tend to find the process laborious and prone to all sorts of nutters, trolls, propagandists, preachers, haters, self-righteous, etc.
I know exactly what you mean Paul. Alot of the wiki-editors seem to be boy-scout badge collectors with much too much time on their hands.

Take a look at these user pages as an example :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Leaky_caldron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto

When I was a kid I remember getting a badge for swimming 25 metres, then one at 50 metres, 100 metres, and so on. Why adult grown men compete for wiki badges is completely unknown to me, but this leads on to my next point.

Voluntary based organisations seem to attract the very worst sort of "hacks" and careerists. I do not think you can avoid it unless you give people a salary, then the hacks inevitably fall below the general standard of the competition against which they are unable to compete.
Chess Amateur.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:06 pm

having a close friend who is a wikipedia admin, i know that the vast majority of vandalism is corrected almost immediately, and where articles are biased etc this is generally flagged.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi Rob,

I agree with you - there are dedicated enthusiasts who put in alot of good work - I hope you didn't take my comment as applying to all of them.

On the other hand - as Paul points out - there are some "nutters" who are utterly pedantic - I just wanted to support his point. Maybe your friend can become our official wiki guru ? :)
Chess Amateur.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Then we could have an ECF wiki-guru! :lol:

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:15 am

I will ask him and see what he says. It may not actually be that useful though, as his knowledge of chess is next to nothing.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:I will ask him and see what he says. It may not actually be that useful though, as his knowledge of chess is next to nothing.
That probably makes him the ideal person to do it. That way he has to find out information from sources, rather than write what he thinks is the case.