When is the new grading list coming out?

General discussions about ratings.
Carl Hibbard

Re: When is the new grading list coming out?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 pm

A**e this VPS node appears to be playing up again and the grading site is off line!

Investigating :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:25 pm

It's back again but investigations as to the cause of the failure are on-going :?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 am

Howard Grist wrote:My, this topic .......................... The blue line denotes the results of games played between players with category A-C grade. This ought to follow the red/green lines, particularly between the fractional scores of .2 and .8. The fact that it doesn't would indicate that there is a problem.
Howard - Why do you think it should follow the red or green line ?

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:33 pm

The revised grades went live in the online list about an hour and a half ago.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Richard Haddrell wrote:The revised grades went live in the online list about an hour and a half ago.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF
Richard,

What was the sign-off process for the latest version and who was involved in this process?

Can you reveal what changes were made for the latest version?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 pm

An extrememly quick analysis reveals 10149 players are in this list who were in the previously released (10/08/09) list.

Of those 1223 have seen their grades go down by between 1 and 37 points with the average being 4.2 ; 617 of these players are juniors, going down by 6.9 average with the rest being adults.

In addition 3408 players have seen their grades go up by anything up to 33 points. Of these, 331 are juniors going up by an average of 6.8 each with 3077 adults going up by 1.7 on average. My guess is this might be newly found games / tournaments but I don't know for sure.

This certainly isn't the great cutting back of junior grades that those who believe juniors are massively over-graded where looking for.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:17 pm

The anomalous junior grades that I previously observed are improved for those who play between 8 and 15 games a season.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:30 pm

The player from Morley College discussed earlier in this thread now has a grade at the high end of a plausible range.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:31 pm

My friend with the 1.5/9 has gone from 32 to 45, which is still a bit low, but much more sensible.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:18 pm

If it had been up to me I guess I would have restricted juniors to an increase/decrease of 60% of what they received from the iterative process. So someone who went up 30 would only go up 18. This is back of the envelope stuff and I haven’t worked out what I think an accurate figure should be yet.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:My guess is this might be newly found games / tournaments but I don't know for sure.
Total of "graded games" on the v1 list 199451 and on v2 199718 - so the change is about 1 tournament or league's worth.

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:27 pm

John Upham wrote:Richard,
What was the sign-off process for the latest version and who was involved in this process? Can you reveal what changes were made for the latest version?
The go-ahead was given by the Manager of Grading after consultation with the Home Director; David Welch; Howard Grist; and me.

The “New Grades” page gives some information about changes made. It isn’t detailed, but I’m not the person to give the details. Even if I had time at the moment. I shall be out of circulation for the next 24 hours, because I’ve got a printed Grading List to put to bed before the bank holiday’s over.

Dean Madden

Post by Dean Madden » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:16 am

It looks like the main change is calculating from the last 20 games (including previous seasons) for juniors instead of last 9.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:21 pm

It would help if our text speaking contributor would confirm which of the many meanings he intended to express!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Ian Lamb

the grade changes from first list

Post by Ian Lamb » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:35 pm

can anyone tell what the changes are and why they were made from first list please.