More Junior shenanigans

General discussions about ratings.
Rob Thompson

More Junior shenanigans

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:07 pm

On wednesday i have a school match against another local school. This game will get graded, however this is very likely to be my opponents only graded game. How will my grading performance for this game be calculated, if i count as ungraded myself, what with being a junior and all?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Neill Cooper

Re: More Junior shenanigans

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:21 pm

Very good question!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:This game will get graded, however this is very likely to be my opponents only graded game. How will my grading performance for this game be calculated, if i count as ungraded myself, what with being a junior and all?
If I've understood the process correctly, a first estimate grade will be worked out for you from the games you've played against adult opponents. This will enable your opponent's grade to be computed and your grade adjusted for the result. They will repeat this process until it converges. So your opponent's grade will be derived from your grade (including games you haven't played yet :!: )

If you have the patience, various descriptions of the underlying theory have appeared on this site. Searches for E*White and B*Valentine should find them.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:48 pm

thanks for the answer
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:47 pm

As I understand it, if you draw your season's grade will be as if you have not played. If you win then I think the following happens. In the convergance phase (as described by Roger) your grade is as though you haven't played and your opponent gets your grade less 50. In the final iteration the graders introduce the 40 point rule, so what happens for this game is you get the grade you would have got ignoring this game plus 10/(number of graded games). If you lose the opposite applies.

The approach adopted by the grader's is such that it will be almost impossible for you to check all this at the end of the season and you remain in the dark during the season.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:22 am

Basically, if this is his only graded game (and assuming he has played no graded games previously) you'll get your own grade +10 for a win, -10 for a loss and +/- 0 for a draw.

Of course, as a junior your own grade is an unknown in this equation following the changes made in the summer but the real effect is that the game will have little bearing on your own grade at the end of the season.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Odd how replies dont include the graders.