Grading Question

General discussions about ratings.
Steve Lloyd

Grading Question

Post by Steve Lloyd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:03 pm

What would you do in this situation?

A recent league game:

Player A "touch-moves" a piece, then plays something else. Player B says nothing and game continues. Player A wins. Two players shake hands, and the match cards are signed.

Player A later admits to this, apologises to player B and asks league controller for the result of the game to be reserved.

I have to grade these games. Would you grade this game? If so who for?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Grading Question

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Win for A - touch-move claims have to be made at the time.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Steve Lloyd wrote:What would you do in this situation?

A recent league game:

Player A "touch-moves" a piece, then plays something else. Player B says nothing and game continues. Player A wins. Two players shake hands, and the match cards are signed.

Player A later admits to this, apologises to player B and asks league controller for the result of the game to be reserved.

I have to grade these games. Would you grade this game? If so who for?
I am a league grader and I would submit whatever result the league controller tells me to. I don't see it as part of the grader's job to get involved in disputes and dealing with irregularities. If I felt strongly that I was being asked to submit incorrect results I would refuse to do it and resign as league grader.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:17 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Win for A - touch-move claims have to be made at the time.
Jack,

That seems a bit tough on Player A!

The league refuses to shrive him?

I understand your view that rules are rules, but surely in such an exceptional case, one might at least examine whether or not it would harm a third party to accept the confession?

Best Regards,
Paul McKeown.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 pm

FIDE 8.7 At the conclusion of the game both players shall sign both scoresheets, indicating the result of the game. Even if correct, this result shall stand, unless the arbiter decides otherwise.

It's the principle that is important here (not the detail about the scoresheets) ... the players can't change the result of the game afterwards. If they could, you would get organisational chaos. (See also FIFA's correct decision about not changing the result of the Ireland-France game.)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:40 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:FIDE 8.7 At the conclusion of the game both players shall sign both scoresheets, indicating the result of the game. Even if correct, this result shall stand, unless the arbiter decides otherwise.
I guess it's easy to make mistakes