Post by Owen Phillips » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:56 pm

ECF rating of an ECF Members FIDE rated games played abroad

Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF rating of FIDE rated games played abroad

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Owen Phillips wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:56 pm
ECF rating of an ECF Members FIDE rated games played abroad
I asked about this some months ago. The reply then was that they hadn't rebuilt this facility for the new Elo based rating system.

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:02 pm

Am I the only ECF Member who thinks it wrong that games played in FIDE registered events abroad are no longer ECF rated? Thus for example the recently completed World Seniors Évent in Assisi is not being ECF rated! I find that fundamentally wrong and indeed I have now played 18 games abroad this year which ECF are not rating! 😞

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:03 pm

It looks like that may still be the case https://www.englishchess.org.uk/grading ... ed-abroad/

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pm

I understand the matter isn’t progressing hence my introducing the topic

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:12 pm

I understood that ECF moved to a four figure system based on ELO yet by nit grading games played in major FIDE recognised events Members grades will fall even further out of kilter by comparison with FIDE ratings-further devaluing the ECF system!

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:14 pm

This is a matter which ECF should rectify.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pm

Owen Phillips wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pm
You are far from being the only person who is unhappy. I have always been able to arrange for my games at the Guernsey International Chess Festival to be ECF graded / rated - until this year.

However, I don't think that raising the issue on here is likely to have much effect. Don't forget that ECF Directors are not permitted to respond, even if they wished to do so.

Most of us have several representatives on the ECF Council, one way or another. Asking one of them to raise the matter directly with the relevant Directors and Officers stands a better chance of achieving something.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:40 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pm
However, I don't think that raising the issue on here is likely to have much effect. Don't forget that ECF Directors are not permitted to respond, even if they wished to do so.
It was raised 14 months ago, Brian Valentine as Manager of Rating responded, although that just said the facility was suspended.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11058&hilit=valent ... 15#p253191
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11058&hilit=valent ... 30#p253207

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:45 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Owen Phillips wrote:
You are far from being the only person who is unhappy. I have always been able to arrange for my games at the Guernsey International Chess Festival to be ECF graded / rated - until this year.

Most of us have several representatives on the ECF Council, one way or another. Asking one of them to raise the matter directly with the relevant Directors and Officers stands a better chance of achieving something.
The matter also appeared on Facebook recently where I wrongly said that I thought it was still possible to have this done. I was corrected by an ECF director though (no such restrictions for directors on there) and didn't get the impression that it will change anytime soon.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:26 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:45 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Owen Phillips wrote:

The matter also appeared on Facebook recently where I wrongly said that I thought it was still possible to have this done. I was corrected by an ECF director though (no such restrictions for directors on there) and didn't get the impression that it will change anytime soon.
A while ago there was a motion before Council to remove the facility to submit foreign tournament results for grading. Possibly it was submitted by Chris Majer - certainly I recall he spoke in support. The motion was rejected by Council - maybe, even, David Sedgwick spoke against but I'm not certain. Surely, unless there was a subsequent approved motion to remove the facility, it should have remained on the switch to the four-digit rating system?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:39 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:26 pm
A while ago there was a motion before Council to remove the facility to submit foreign tournament results for grading. Possibly it was submitted by Chris Majer - certainly I recall he spoke in support. The motion was rejected by Council - maybe, even, David Sedgwick spoke against but I'm not certain. Surely, unless there was a subsequent approved motion to remove the facility, it should have remained on the switch to the four-digit rating system?
From memory, that was in 2012, so 10 years ago. I did indeed lead the opposition to Chris Majer.

At the time, all ECF members could request this facility. The Board subsequently restricted it to Platinum and Gold members. I didn't protest, but perhaps I should have done. Every wedge has a thin end.

When the new ECF Rating system came in, we were assured that it was a purely temporary measure, in order not to delay the implementation of the new system.

That "temporary measure" has now lasted well over two years and we have learned from Loz Cooper's post above that the situation is unlikely to change any time soon.

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Good to hear that the ECF are actively considering the necessary actions to update player's ECF Ratings based on results when they have played in FIDE events abroad.
Brian Valentine is I understand preparing a Summary paper on the topic. So action in the New Year hopefully.

ATB and Happy Christmas and New Year to all, Owen Phillips.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Owen Phillips wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:30 pm
Good to hear that the ECF are actively considering the necessary actions to update player's ECF Ratings based on results when they have played in FIDE events abroad.
In that context "abroad" also includes Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Guernsey and Jersey. Historically it was any event, not just FIDE rated ones.

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:42 pm

Hi Roger- sure I meant abroad to cover those countries based on hoe things have transpired.

What's your next congress? are u a `Hastings Man'? Good luck wherever anyhow.

ATB, Owen.