Exclusion of players from rating

General discussions about ratings.
Wadih Khoury

Re: Exclusion of players from rating

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:33 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:23 pm

Both lack publicity though and are I would suspect are driven from the rating list. Do you have a link to the qualification list for the British?

Yes they are driven from all eligible events in the rating list (I think the British grand Prix also takes into account tournaments from all British federations).
Last I asked, they had not published yet any ranking tables.
The rules can be found on the page of the 2023 British.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 am

Rating
The tournaments will be submitted to FIDE for international rating and the English Chess Federation (ECF) for national rating. Games played involving a player FIDE-rated in excess of 2400 are ineligible for FIDE-rating
Has anyone checked that this approach is actually legal?

With the ECF rating system:
There is one proviso – events, or sections of events, are rated whole or not at all.
- https://www.englishchess.org.uk/how-to- ... ent-rated/

With the FIDE rating system:
5.1 ...snip... Except in case of force majeure, any game where both players have made at least one move will be rated ...snip...
- FIDE Rating Regulations (B02), Applied from 1 January 2022, Ch. 6, FIDE Arbiter's Handbook

I would first check with FIDE (via the IRO) whether or not it is actually permissible to run a FIDE rated tournament in which one player's results are discarded in their entirety because their rating is above a threshold set by FIDE to determine the minimum thinking time available per player per game, and the organisers want explicitly to use a faster time control.

Thinking about it, one way to do this legally it is to treat the above the threshold player as a filler. The ECF will happily rate the filler games, whilst FIDE won't be annoyed with them. This means that the above the threshold player will not be eligible to any prize or title from the main event, though, as that player has not actually taken part in that event.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:14 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 am
With the FIDE rating system:
5.1 ...snip... Except in case of force majeure, any game where both players have made at least one move will be rated ...snip...
- FIDE Rating Regulations (B02), Applied from 1 January 2022, Ch. 6, FIDE Arbiter's Handbook
It may be that 5.1 is in need of a minor clarification, and might have been drafted better when it was introduced - as usual for an entirely unrelated purpose, to do with anti-cheating.

All the same, I think that 5.1 can be understood to apply only to games which are rateable from the outset.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.