getting an ECF rating as a non-resident?

General discussions about ratings.
kevin brown

getting an ECF rating as a non-resident?

Post by kevin brown » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:56 am

It might prove to be neither possible nor practical for me to try to get an ECF rating but I would welcome peoples' thoughts/advice on the matter. I live in Australia and because of expected regular travel to the UK I'm planning on playing 1-2 week end congresses in England per year for the next 3-5 years. I have an Australian and a FIDE rating. An obvious solution would be to play in FIDE rated events but my travel times are restricted and I won't have much latitude to structure my visits to coincide with FIDE rated events (which seem to be in the minority) so the chances are I'll play in non-FIDE rated. I would prefer to play knowing that the result counts towards a rating (games played outside Australia are not recognised for Australian rating purposes) but perhaps it is impractical to try to obtain an ECF rating given the situation. Although I'm originally from the UK and was rated, we're talking 1970s ancient history there and I'm sure those records will no longer exist! I'd welcome any thoughts on the practicalities etc. of this idea.
cheers.

David Gilbert

Re: getting an ECF rating as a non-resident?

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:23 am

If Peter Svidler can get an ECF grade based on 10 games then so can you - of course, Peter Svidler is cricket fanatic, which I don't suppose you'd know much about!!

kevin brown

Post by kevin brown » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks! But if you need a rating similar to Mr Svidler then I will just quietly remove myself now! Despite being a very modest cricketer (in my time) I would certainly have more chance now matching Mr Svidler with leather and willow than I ever would over the board!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:10 am

The first name on the ECF grading list is Aagedal, Geir Ole from Norway with an ECF grade of 151 (based on 20 games)and a FIDE rating of 1836.

The cricket reference here is that, although it was hushed-up for almost 100 years, Peter Tinniswood discovered that a cricket match took place at Cape Evans between England and Norway on 18 September 1911, made up of representatives from their respective Polar teams. Allowing Amundsen to reach the Pole first was a minor inconvenience used as a smokescreen for the ultimate humiliation that Norway had beaten England at Cricket!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 am

There's nothing to stop any overseas players getting a grade by playing in English tournaments. However, you might not be able to play in some tournaments. I'm not sure how long you lived in the UK before, but you might not fulfil the British Championship criteria. Some entry forms still say "Open to anyone in the Commonwealth" or something like that, a throw back to the pre-2003 British Championship days, presumably, when that tournament acted as a British Championship qualifier. Being Australian though, you don't have to worry about that. :)

kevin brown

Post by kevin brown » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:07 am

Many thanks Alex - I have dual nationality so some restrictions may be overcome though my playing standard is only club level and I'd be looking at 'standard' congresses mainly. I expect I would need to be a member or otherwise affiliated with the ECF as far as getting a rating goes. Or might this be included in the congress entry fee?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:29 am

kevin brown wrote:I expect I would need to be a member or otherwise affiliated with the ECF as far as getting a rating goes. Or might this be included in the congress entry fee?
If you play in Fide rated events, you would be expected to become a member of the ECF (or the Australian equivalent). Otherwise just turn up and play. The rating fee is paid by the congress organiser, so is part of the tournament entry costs. If you become an ECF member, you can get a £ 2 to £ 2.50 reduction in the entry fee to most tournaments.

If you want to play in rating restricted events, you would have to supply some form of evidence, an Australian or Fide rating that was below the required standard.

The only event which is confined to British players only is the British Championships proper - even local players have to qualify either by rating or results. There are a few titles, West of England Champion is one, which are confined to players from a local area, but the tournament itself is open to all-comers.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:37 am

kevin brown wrote:I expect I would need to be a member or otherwise affiliated with the ECF as far as getting a rating goes. Or might this be included in the congress entry fee?
Hi Kevin,

As you are listed as AUS in the FIDE rating list there is no need to become a member of the ECF. When you play in a congress, part of your entry fee goes to the ECF to pay game fee which is the fee for grading your game.

You need to play 9 games to get an ECF grade. These can be spread over 3 years so there is no doubt that you can get an ECF grade.

And if you do decide to play in FIDE rated events, your games will be both FIDE rated and ECF graded.

Good luck,

Sean

kevin brown

Post by kevin brown » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi Roger and Sean, my thanks to you both for your responses, all sounds very positive and I'm glad to have posted my question in this forum! Thanks again, cheers, kevin