Unusual grading histories

General discussions about ratings.
Neill Cooper

Re: Unusual grading histories

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 am

I played David Knox in the late 1980s in the Cheshire league. He completely outplayed me and then feel for a mating trap. I think both of us played very quickly for a standard play game, and it was all over in less than an hour.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:39 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:One of the reason it might be best not to speculate about reasons for wildly fluctuating grades is that some of the reasons for it could be private (e.g. illness).
Exactly, so let's leave it there
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 am

Good point, I didn't consider that when I started the thread. I couldn't understand how someone who once played at close to 200 standard could deteriate to the extent that they were just an average club player, then climb back to their previous standard. Anyway, perhaps this thread could be allowed to die now.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I see that it isn't just a player's grade that can "deteriate" but spelling also.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:I think both of us played very quickly for a standard play game, and it was all over in less than an hour.
I've always played too quickly, but there's one other player in the local league who's even worse than me in this respect; when we played each other, a draw was agreed after 32 moves... and 31 minutes. I'd used 21 of those to my opponent's 10 - and since the time control was at move 30, he finished the game with more time than he started it. None of the other games was out of the opening by the time we'd finished.