East Lancashire Chess Association Grades

General discussions about ratings.
Ian Thompson

East Lancashire Chess Association Grades

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:41 am

A player has joined one of the clubs in our local league, which runs grading limited divisions. There is no record of the player having played any ECF graded games as far as my records go back (1999). He has quoted an East Lancashire Chess Association grade that he has. Is anyone familiar with these? Are they considered comparable to ECF grades, or is there an accepted conversion formula?

The East Lancashire Chess Association website is http://www.elca.org.uk/artman/publish/index.shtml. To see grades it seems that you have to select a club and then select a link to see the grades of players from that club, although only two clubs have 2010 grades listed, the remainder stopping at 2009.

Alan Walton

Re: East Lancashire Chess Association Grades

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 am

These grades are produced by Harry Lamb, and are predominantly games graded in the North West only

They are produced twice a year and are a decent representation of games only in the NW (which normally are not submitted for ECF grading), I think mine is from 10-15 games per 6 month period and is slightly lower than my ECF grade