6 monthly grades

General discussions about ratings.
Roger de Coverly

Re: 6 monthly grades

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Presumably though, games are rated as as date of game ie. games rated in October are rated on a different basis from games in February.
I believe the rule will be that all games will be rated using the 1st November 2010 list. Presumably this applies to norms as well.

There is an issue to be addressed for leagues of course, which is to balance the need for timely ratings against qualification standards for getting a rating in the first place.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:56 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:In practice I expect there will be competitions, particularly the minority which still have adjudications and adjournments which will report annually.
I would suspect adjournments and adjudications would get reported in the reporting period after they finish or are adjudicated. To take as an example one of the adjournments I mentioned earlier, the game started in December, second session was in January, third session was earlier this week (beginning of February), possible fourth session end of this month. I would say more, but need to wait until the game finishes first. But yeah, what date do you report the game on? The date it finishes?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:In practice I expect there will be competitions, particularly the minority which still have adjudications and adjournments which will report annually.
I would suspect adjournments and adjudications would get reported in the reporting period after they finish or are adjudicated. To take as an example one of the adjournments I mentioned earlier, the game started in December, second session was in January, third session was earlier this week (beginning of February), possible fourth session end of this month. I would say more, but need to wait until the game finishes first. But yeah, what date do you report the game on? The date it finishes?
The simple solution is not to grade adjourned games :D

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
The simple solution is not to grade adjourned games :D
Not for the grader/league administrator. At the moment the grader can submit results-to-date whenever the ECF wants them and the ECF will discard any previously submitted results-to-date. An adjourned game would be included as soon as the result was known. If they weren't eligible for grading someone would have to keep track of which games had previously been adjourned and remove them from the results submitted.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Presumably though, games are rated as as date of game ie. games rated in October are rated on a different basis from games in February.
I believe the rule will be that all games will be rated using the 1st November 2010 list. Presumably this applies to norms as well.

There is an issue to be addressed for leagues of course, which is to balance the need for timely ratings against qualification standards for getting a rating in the first place.
I think when the games were played they listed September ratings. I pointed out that Kanwal Bhatia had become a WFM at the Olympiad but was given the impression that as she wasn't a WFM on the September list she wouldn't count as such in the 4NCL. I hope that doesn't impact on anyone's norm chances. Having just checked the 4ncl site I'm somewhat confused to see that none of the players with wgm, wim and wfm titles have them listed, but purely a w by their name. On the other hand female playsers with IM titles are showing :?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:24 pm

All games in the 4NCL will be rated using the November list. That was the list in force at the time the event started.

For board order purposes, the 4NCL uses the list in force 7 days before the round in question. Hence R1 of the 4NCL used the September list .