1970s grading lists?

General discussions about ratings.
Roger de Coverly

Re: 1970s grading lists?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:27 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Not sure about congresses though. I guess most congresses need to send their results off to people far away to get their events graded, and don't necessarily give the grader the information.
It's on the cross-table if you use Tournament Director or similar. It would even be on the pairing cards. How much grading is still done the traditional hand crafted way using pairing cards? I know that arbiters like to use them for pairings, but even here the resulting pairings and results are on a computer. Once this is done, isn't production of the grading files almost an automatic process?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Paul Georghiou wrote:Hi Carl

I'm pleased that you'll be providing old grading information. Presuming you're not going to publish every grade ever held by anyone, there are certain things which I think would be of greatest interest - others may disagree!
The grades already go back to 1994, before that you would need a scanner and the old printed lists. I don't think this is the idea, rather it will be detail of games played like the FIDE site.
Paul Georghiou wrote: Primarily the top players, going down to a certain grade (200, 175 maybe) or maybe simply the top 100 players, but going as far back as possible. I noticed that when the 2010 grading list appeared, the top 100 for 2009 vanished.

Also the top women and juniors of all eras. Grading histories of those who made it to a very high level would also be of interest.
This could be done from the information already present. I don't think there are plans to do it. :(

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:45 pm

It is actually surprisingly inexpensive to have a commercial outfit scan old paper into PDF files (Adobe portable document format) that can go on websites. I know this because a scientific society magazine I edit did this for its (paper only) back catalogue. Most scientific journals have also done it with their (much more extensive) archives. It is indexing the stuff that is expensive.

Anyway, once you have stuff as PDFs people can hunt through it themselves if they wish, so an "archive" of old grading lists (for the historically interested) might not be that expensive to set up. Though of course there would arguably be no point in spending any money if no-one would look at it. Real chess historians can presumably already consult the printed versions of the lists somewhere.

"Inexpensive" is a relative term, of course, esp. in light of discussion elsewhere on the forum...