How much does a game cost?

General discussions about ratings.
Roger de Coverly

Re: How much does a game cost?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Richard Cowan wrote: - they are a minority
By headcount they aren't - look at the grading stats. So drive them away and you are down to a rump of serious players. As Adam notes, even at the moment I seem to keep on playing the same people, even in Congresses.

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:39 pm

People playing < (say) 5 games are a majority?
>5 could be covered with a reduced membership or concessionary (for e.g. students).

I honestly don't see what the problem is.

Who says that you'll drive them all away anyway?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Richard Cowan wrote:People playing < (say) 5 games are a majority?
>5 could be covered with a reduced membership or concessionary (for e.g. students).
Of course not. Those playing more than 30 are a minority though. If I can be bothered I'll sort and sum up the games played from the downloaded grading list, so we can see the distribution.
Richard Cowan wrote:Who says that you'll drive them all away anyway?
Pure speculation of course, but if you told someone, it would cost £ 18 for a single game of chess, you might expect the reply, no thanks. If it was £18 but covered your next 30, you might be prepared to accept. Somewhere between the two is the cutoff point at which you drive people away.

Ok, it's not strictly speaking £ 18 for a single game, but it is £ 18 for the combination of the single game plus the right to play say 29 more at no extra cost. If you don't want or need that right, the package is priced too high.

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Exactly, so, say £5-8 for up to 10 games. Over that £18.
Would encourage people who play ~10ish games to play more, and people who play less not to badly disadvantaged.
Maybe make 1st game free as an incentive? (You can't get a rating based on one game anyway!)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Richard Cowan wrote:Exactly, so, say £5-8 for up to 10 games. Over that £18.
I don't know how you are going to find the 11th game and default him or invoice him. I think you are always talking about up front costs, rather than end of season payment. If you were talking about end of season, you could bill by game count. :)
Richard Cowan wrote: (You can't get a rating based on one game anyway!)
No, but you can keep an existing one.

Over the years, I've had enough conversations where people have told me about the money demanding BCF/ECF to know that the goodwill factor towards the ECF isn't that high. The goodwill factor was particularly diluted when all players on the international list were required to become ECF members in order to play in the 4NCL. At least one person turned Welsh in protest to get a lower rate and support Welsh chess instead of English chess.

When 80% of the ECF's Income is always going to be spent on the Office, International and Junior , there's never going to be much left to "give value" to the average players.