General discussions about ratings.
Simon Dixon

New ECF grades are now online.

Post by Simon Dixon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:29 pm

The new grades are out. :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: New ECF grades are now online.

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I see that Mickey Adams has been replaced by Nigel Short at the top of the list, and they've swapped grades as well. Not that I suppose they worry much about their ECF grades, seeing as their FIDE ratings are the real measure of chess strength at their level. Luke McShane is second, and Jonathan Hawkins is up to sixth.

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/engtopplayers.php

188 players graded over 200. Is that more than normal?

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getmostactive.php

And how does anyone manage to play 232 games of chess in a single year! :shock:

Hilarious, the top list without "nation code checking":

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/gettopplayers.php

Ivanchuk, Vassily (Ukraine) E-296
Carlsen, Magnus (Norway) E-281
Kramnik, Vladimir (Russia) E-275

I presume this is from grading of the London Chess Classic and Gibraltar?

Daniel Young

Post by Daniel Young » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Surely Ivanchuk's monster 296 grade must be a record?! The 300 mark suddenly looks rather vulnerable...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: And how does anyone manage to play 232 games of chess in a single year! :shock:

52 weekends a year, a weekend Congress somewhere during almost all of them. Five rounds every weekend. It can mount up. Also London area players can probably find a club or league for almost every weekday night.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: And how does anyone manage to play 232 games of chess in a single year! :shock:
52 weekends a year, a weekend Congress somewhere during almost all of them. Five rounds every weekend. It can mount up. Also London area players can probably find a club or league for almost every weekday night.
You would certainly get value for money in terms of grading, though joining lots of different London chess clubs would start to mount up in terms of membership fees. I think I would go mad if I played a game of chess every day, or even a tournament every weekend, but the idea does have a certain, um, attraction. :mrgreen:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:188 players graded over 200. Is that more than normal?
I make it 194 on the same definition (country code ENG or blank) using last year's data. This is by spreadsheet hacking from the "old" download.

Anthony.Ibbitson

Post by Anthony.Ibbitson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Since the gradings were inflated in 2009, does anyone know what is the correct converstion to translate from ECF to ELO? I'm assuming that the 2009 conversion is out of date?
"Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy. – Siegbert Tarrasch"

Anthony.Ibbitson

Post by Anthony.Ibbitson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Well done Simon for hitting 140! That's the mark I was hoping to reach, I'm going to push hard for 150 next season instead!
"Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy. – Siegbert Tarrasch"

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:42 pm

Anthony,

The conversion formula are here.

http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/help.php#elo

The second formula in each pair i.e. (FIDE - 650) / 8 = ECF and (National Elo - 600) / 8 = ECF, are the formula used by the ECF to grade games where a player has a FIDE rating or a National Elo rating but not an ECF grade.

Others e.g congress organisers, other national federations are free to use different conversion formula. FIDE does not convert ECF grades. Chess Scotland analysed members with both CS and ECF grades and decided to use a conversion formula of CS = (ECF*10) + 180. Some congresses in the North of England are using the reverse of this, ECF = (CS-180) / 10 to determine the eligibility of players with a CS grade but no ECF grade.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Anthony.Ibbitson wrote:Since the gradings were inflated in 2009, does anyone know what is the correct converstion to translate from ECF to ELO? I'm assuming that the 2009 conversion is out of date?
The official translation for international Elo is now (Elo-650)/8 so 2050 translates to 175. For National Elo it's (Elo-600)/8 so 2000 equates to 175. The Scots believe that we inflated our grading system relative to theirs, so they use Scots = (English *10) +180 (or similar). So an English 175 is a Scots 1930, or more to the point an English 140 is a Scots 1580.

In the context of the International and ECF systems, conversions are only used to set eligibilities, board orders and seedings for pairings. They don't affect calculation as a player with an converted rating would be treated as a new player.

In particular the ECF does not currently use converted grades in its own calculations.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:59 pm

OK. If the ECF does not currently use converted grades I stand corrected. The number of games where converted grades used to be used was very small anyway.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:In particular the ECF does not currently use converted grades in its own calculations.
Maybe not indirectly, but what about results submitted from tournaments abroad? Those are done based on bundled "rating points" over the course of the tournament. Is there not some conversion going on there?

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:In particular the ECF does not currently use converted grades in its own calculations.
Maybe not directly, but what about results submitted from tournaments abroad? Those are done based on bundled "rating points" over the course of the tournament. Is there not some conversion going on there?
Yes, that's the exception. But have you looked at the number of games involved?

Oh, no, you won't have. I have published some statistics, including that one, at http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/grad.htm.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Richard Haddrell wrote:
Oh, no, you won't have. I have published some statistics, including that one, at http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/grad.htm.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

Good to see the number of active players going up, reversing the trend 8)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:33 pm

I noticed a player who passed away last season being listed, whereas in the past I have seen something like "Name (deceased)". I assume this is simply a case of not being informed. Who should I let know?