General discussions about ratings.
Alex McFarlane

Re: New ECF grades are now online.

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Posted in wrong place

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:You might be right, but we'd know if it had been announced. There was some discussion in the bar last night as to what pairing rules were being used in the Championship. I said British, the players said FIDE. I can't find it specified anywhere to be honest. Whilst I think some people like to argue, most just like to know what's happening.
British pairings are definitely being used. Either that, or the arbiters haven't implemented the FIDE algorithm very well. :)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:Accelerated pairings aren't being used with any great consistency. For example they're used in the British but not in the Major Open. 5 round events with more than 32 players aren't using them.
Agreed, which is why it would be useful to know the rationale for using them. Every single player that I have spoken to has been unanimous in their condemnation of the use of accelerated pairings. In the face of that, you'd hope the rationale for using them might be clearly laid out and explained.
This has had a bit of an impact upon me: I'm on 3.5/4 in the U140, but I'm on board 2. Board 1 has someone on 4 and someone on 3.5. So there's a possibility that players could get 5 and 4.5 without ever meeting, which as I could be the one on 4.5, is slightly disappointing. :(

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:14 am

doesn't matter who or how you are paired with (obviously the same person more than once is just silly) but you still have to score x amount points from y rounds to win. Pairing people with similar scores is obviously the fairest means! Shame that you cannot compete for first though if you should have opportunity.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 am

The Grading website appears to be down "Database unavailable."
Any ideas what's going on?
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am

Greg Breed wrote:The Grading website appears to be down "Database unavailable."
Any ideas what's going on?
OK Its back up - panic over :|
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

Greg Breed wrote: panic over :|
Sadly, Corporal Jones is no longer with us
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 am

The ECF grading site is undergoing an upgrade. Please try again at 1.30pm.
Exciting...

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Hou Yifan is officially better than Magnus Carlsen!

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/top-players

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I hope I've got this wrong - in which case I'm going to look a bit foolish - but I think there may be some problems with the new list. I've seen:
- An 'A' category grade attributed where fewer than 30 games were played in the last 12 months;
- An incorrect count of the number of games played in the last 12 months (the count given appeared, instead, to apply to 18 months);
- An apparently incorrect grade. Results to make up the required number of 30 seem to have been taken first from the July 2012 pool rather than from the Jan 2012 pool (at first sight this seems logical but, in the case I looked at, some of the results attributed to Jan 2012 were more recent - an artifact of a league reporting all its results at the end of the last grading season and none at the half-way stage).

I've emailed the ECF's Grading Administrator.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Angus French wrote:I hope I've got this wrong - in which case I'm going to look a bit foolish - but I think there may be some problems with the new list. I've seen:
- An 'A' category grade attributed where fewer than 30 games were played in the last 12 months;
- An incorrect count of the number of games played in the last 12 months (the count given appeared, instead, to apply to 18 months);
- An apparently incorrect grade. Results to make up the required number of 30 seem to have been taken first from the July 2012 pool rather than from the Jan 2012 pool (at first sight this seems logical but, in the case I looked at, some of the results attributed to Jan 2012 were more recent - an artifact of a league reporting all its results at the end of the last grading season and none at the half-way stage).

I've emailed the ECF's Grading Administrator.
OK, I've heard back from the Grading Administrator (Richard Haddrell).
He tells me that, yes, Category values may be incorrect in some cases - this stems from the fact that the previous grading 'year' was 13 months (not 12). Also, in effect, the last two grading periods make up 12 months (or 13 months as a one-off). So the 12 month results count is the sum of the results counts for the last two grading periods. It also appears that, to make up a quota, results are taken from previous grading periods in reverse order (this doesn't necessarily mean that the most recent results are used!).

Tim Seymour

Post by Tim Seymour » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:55 pm

I've noticed something strange about the grades used for juniors in calculating my grade.
For 6 of the 7 juniors I played the grade used in my calculation was lower than BOTH their new Jan-13 and old Jul-12 grade (e.g. Guy Moss increased from 182 to 190 but only counted as 178 when I played him). It seems a bit strange as it's bad enough playing under-rated juniors anyway...
Is there an explanation for it?

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Tim Seymour wrote:I've noticed something strange about the grades used for juniors in calculating my grade.
For 6 of the 7 juniors I played the grade used in my calculation was lower than BOTH their new Jan-13 and old Jul-12 grade (e.g. Guy Moss increased from 182 to 190 but only counted as 178 when I played him). It seems a bit strange as it's bad enough playing under-rated juniors anyway...
Is there an explanation for it?
Presumably both grades include a massive age related increment (which is designed to anticipate improvement), but the one used for calculation doesn't. Basically the formula overstated the expected improvement in the period. Don't know what they've done with Junior increments now we have half yearly lists, but i suspect they haven't changed them, when logically they should have been halved.

Tim Seymour

Post by Tim Seymour » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:28 pm

For ages 11-17 I think it's only a 5 point bonus, which doesn't seem so big to me. I'm sure the players I played went up by more than that on average (including the above example).

Why would the bonus' not be included in the calculation anyway? Otherwise the only point of them I can see would be for seeding purposes

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Tim Seymour wrote:
Why would the bonus' not be included in the calculation anyway? Otherwise the only point of them I can see would be for seeding purposes
What is the point of any grade if not for seeding purposes?

A junior's grade is based upon their performance, plus the bonus/increment to reflect their predicted improvement in the forthcoming period. The essential difference between adult and junior grades is that Adult grades reflect past performance. Junior grades reflect past performance plus anticipated future improvement. For the purposes of grading their opponents in the next period their ACTUAL performance then replaces this grade (so no bonus is necessary).