How many games need for a grade

General discussions about ratings.
Jurica Cule

Re: How many games need for a grade

Post by Jurica Cule » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am

Sorry if I missed the answer to my question somewhere on the forum.

I understand that I need 9 ECF graded games to get my first official ECF grade. I would like to know how many FIDE rated games I need to play to get my first FIDE rating ?

Thanks

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 am

Jurica Cule wrote: I understand that I need 9 ECF graded games to get my first official ECF grade. I would like to know how many FIDE rated games I need to play to get my first FIDE rating ?
It's the same, 9. There is a difference that the ECF grade is 9 games in graded competitions regardless of whether the opponents have grades. For a FIDE rating in a league or Swiss tournament, all 9 opponents have to have ratings, so it's your first 9 rated opponents rather than first 9 games. e2e4 run ten player all play all tournaments from time to time. These have special rules that if at least 4 players have ratings and all games are played, then all 6 unrated players get ratings provided they get at least one point.

If you score less than 1 point in your first event, the results from that event won't count. It used to be that you needed to play 3 rated players as well, but that may have been changed recently.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Interesting. This must have changed during the past few years. I got my FIDE rating at the CCF "Get Me A FIDE Rating" Tournament where one person had a FIDE rating and it an was all-play-all 9-round event. So long as you scored at least a point you got your FIDE rating.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Greg Breed wrote:Interesting. This must have changed during the past few years. I got my FIDE rating at the CCF "Get Me A FIDE Rating" Tournament where one person had a FIDE rating and it an was all-play-all 9-round event. So long as you scored at least a point you got your FIDE rating.
This tournament presumably.

http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_repo ... 6=9486&t=0

Four of the players had ratings, the rules have been more or less unchanged for years.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Greg Breed wrote:Interesting. This must have changed during the past few years. I got my FIDE rating at the CCF "Get Me A FIDE Rating" Tournament where one person had a FIDE rating and it an was all-play-all 9-round event. So long as you scored at least a point you got your FIDE rating.
This tournament presumably.

http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_repo ... 6=9486&t=0

Four of the players had ratings, the rules have been more or less unchanged for years.
So there were. :oops: I didn't know at the time. I thought it was just Laurence Jones who had the rating.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)