New feature added: Rank

General discussions about ratings.
Michael Bennett

New feature added: Rank

Post by Michael Bennett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Rank has been added now to the player profile.

Those players FIDE-registered but not "ENG" are excluded from the rankings, as are players with a grade of zero. We'll be adding explanatory text to the Help page soon.

Number of ranked players:
Standard: 9458
Rapid: 4070

Many thanks to all those who suggested this feature, who include Paul Cooksey & John Foley. John - we have discussed the possibility of using percentiles, deciles etc but have gone with a simple ranking for now.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Re: New feature added: Rank

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Nice, 323 at 192 :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Michael Bennett wrote:Rank has been added now to the player profile.

Those players FIDE-registered but not "ENG" are excluded from the rankings, as are players with a grade of zero. We'll be adding explanatory text to the Help page soon.

Number of ranked players:
Standard: 9458
Rapid: 4070

Many thanks to all those who suggested this feature, who include Paul Cooksey & John Foley. John - we have discussed the possibility of using percentiles, deciles etc but have gone with a simple ranking for now.
As a FIDE-registered player, but not "ENG", would it be possible to have the rank equivalent place for someone with the same grade? Maybe highlighted somehow differently, like in brackets or in gray. You just made me curious, now I have to find an ENG player with my same rating :-)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: Those players FIDE-registered but not "ENG" are excluded from the rankings
There are players resident in England, taking part in English domestic chess, who have SCO, WLS, IRL and other FIDE designations. This has always been a problem for ranking lists and the printed list used to be criticised for including too many players or leaving others out.

I doubt there's an easy solution, asking players or leagues to self certify perhaps. There's also an issue that players might wish to be non-resident for non-chess reasons and any data which contradicted this could cause them a problem.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote: Those players FIDE-registered but not "ENG" are excluded from the rankings
There are players resident in England, taking part in English domestic chess, who have SCO, WLS, IRL and other FIDE designations. This has always been a problem for ranking lists and the printed list used to be criticised for including too many players or leaving others out.

I doubt there's an easy solution, asking players or leagues to self certify perhaps. There's also an issue that players might wish to be non-resident for non-chess reasons and any data which contradicted this could cause them a problem.
I'm not asking to include those players in the rankings.
You can keep calculating the ranking for ENG players only, there's some sense in that.
What I would like to see is the ranking position of an ENG player with my same ECF rating, I thought it would be trivial.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Michael Bennett wrote:John - we have discussed the possibility of using percentiles, deciles etc but have gone with a simple ranking for now.
Great stuff Michael.

I would be happy to be included in the Top 5% in the country. However, you have given me extra information so I can claim to be in the top 3.6% instead. :D

Stop Press: as I wrote this the rank changed - presumably you are still tinkering with the code.

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 pm

John - no, I've haven't changed the code since I posted the announcement, so your rank shouldn't have changed.

Paolo - that would be reasonably straightforward to add, but I think it might lead to some confusion for users. You see, if you select top players with FIDE nation "All" on the top players lookup, you'll see a different ranking to the one that you are suggesting. I'll add your suggestion to 'the list' of features to be considered, of course.

In the meantime, you could find a large club such as Drunken Knights, King's Head, Cavendish or Hendon, and then find a ranked player of your grade (your "ENG" grade twin!). Your rank = 554.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm 1129... :(

Any way to work out what grade I'd need to be in the top 1000?

Oh, hang on. My rank is 462 in the rapidplay list! :shock:

OK, if anyone asks, I can now say I'm in the top 500 in the country. <ahem>