Deadline for submission for July 2012 list

General discussions about ratings.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Deadline for submission for July 2012 list

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Alan Burke wrote:For example, in the list to be calculated for the July 2012 list, a match is to be included which actually took place in May 2011 but was not included in the previous grading lists. The two players at the time of the match had grades of 171 (Won) and 143 (Lost). However, in the provisional results for the forthcoming July 2012 list, the two players are being calculated at their current grades of 172 (Won) and 130 (Lost). This means that the player who won the game will be losing out by 13 points whilst the player who lost the match will be gaining 1 point.
You're right, it shouldn't happen.

What should happen is that either the game does not get graded or, it gets retro fitted into the correct grading list.

The reason they do what they do is so that they can charge game fee. I know this as it was stated thus at the one and only meeting of the grading team that I attended.

Hopefully, with the move to universal membership such nonsense won't be countenanced in future.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:The reason they do what they do is so that they can charge game fee. I know this as it was stated thus at the one and only meeting of the grading team that I attended.
I really don't think the ECF's methods of raising money are of any significance in this context. Rather more important is that the ECF, unlike Elo systems, includes games from all players including ungraded ones. So whilst you could make back dating work for players who already have grades, it isn't going to work for new players or those like juniors, that you treat as new players.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue May 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:The reason they do what they do is so that they can charge game fee. I know this as it was stated thus at the one and only meeting of the grading team that I attended.
I really don't think the ECF's methods of raising money are of any significance in this context.
The specific quote was "If we didn't do this [grade games the following season] how could we justify charging game fee?"