Events Missing from the July 2012 Grading List

General discussions about ratings.
Sean Hewitt

Events Missing from the July 2012 Grading List

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

I've received an email (as have all graders) to say that the following events have not yet sent in their results for grading. If they are not received by next Friday (20th July) they won't make the July list. It may be that some of the events did not occur but it would help Richard Haddrell to know if that was the case, or if the organiser can be chivvied along!

LEAGUES
Buckinghamshire League
Cambridgeshire County League
Cannock & District League
Combined Banks & Insurance League
Dudley & District League
Exeter & District League
London Commercial League
SCCU U14/130
Surrey Border League
Surrey CCA: all events
Wolverhampton & District League
Worcestershire League

CONGRESSES 2012
MAR
Suffolk Junior
APR
Bloxwich Junior
JUN
South Lakes

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Events Missing from the July 2012 Grading List

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for this - I have politely reminded SCCA about it.

I thought there was exciting League Management software which allowed the grading to be done automatically, but apparently not.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Is that number larger than normal? Is it possible that various graders may have changed e-mail addresses or things may be going astray, or is it just the normal sort of delays?

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks, Kevin. I currently have all the Surrey League results laid out on my dining room table and I'm checking them one by one. The Main League results will go in later today.

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Could have put money on South Lakes not sending them in given I had a relatively decent result up there.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:Could have put money on South Lakes not sending them in given I had a relatively decent result up there.
Will email somebody about that - you could yet be in luck......

Did you enjoy your stay at Barrow earlier this year, btw??
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Andrew Camp

Post by Andrew Camp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Loved it, Matt. Really enjoyed both congresses up that way this year and we hope to be coming again.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:Could have put money on South Lakes not sending them in given I had a relatively decent result up there.
It might be useful to send them an email. It may be that they don't appreciate the urgency as last year a June event would have been graded the following January.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I thought there was exciting League Management software which allowed the grading to be done automatically, but apparently not.
Mike Gunn wrote:Thanks, Kevin. I currently have all the Surrey League results laid out on my dining room table and I'm checking them one by one.
Is this dining room table anything to do with this League Management software? 8)

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:12 pm

In Surrey the results go through several bits of software, but not THE league management software (which I presume Kevin means). Experience proves it is still a good idea to hand check everything, no matter how automated your system. (Finished the hand check now.)

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 pm

If these results are not received in time for the July list; once they are eventually included (ie hopefully for the January 2013 list) will they still be calculated using the players' grades as they were at the actual time of the event and not their new grade which they will receive in a few weeks time ?

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Didn't Roger answer this (http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 4&start=30) when you brought the point up before?
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Michael; with all due respect to Roger, is he actually giving the definitive answer to the problem or just a point of view - I took his reply as the latter and thought that an ECF official might be the one to give a reply.

His previous answer was .. "So whilst you could make back dating work for players who already have grades, it isn't going to work for new players or those like juniors, that you treat as new players."

Note the word "could". That doesn't say it WOULD happen.

Michael Bennett

Post by Michael Bennett » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 am

Ok, then you can either wait for an answer from an ECF official on the forum, or (probably better) ask Richard Haddrell via the enquiry form on the grading site.
Michael Bennett
Hendon Chess Club: http://www.hendonchessclub.com
Golders Green Rapidplays: http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:33 am

Alan Burke wrote:If these results are not received in time for the July list; once they are eventually included (ie hopefully for the January 2013 list) will they still be calculated using the players' grades as they were at the actual time of the event and not their new grade which they will receive in a few weeks time ?
No. They will be calculated using the grades current at the time of calculation. The online list’s Help page is explicit about this in the case of games reported too late for a January list:
The great majority of leagues send interim reports so that their results up to 31st December can go into the January grading list. A few do not, and all their results will go into the July list, calculated using January grades. The January list will not be retrospectively amended to accommodate results reported late.
The same principle applies to results reported too late for a July list. This was probably guessable but the Help page ought to have said it, and it will when I’ve made the required amendment.

Sean’s post didn’t make the point that all of those leagues have made interim submissions. All Forum readers knew this, because it’s in Events Received for Grading 2011-12. I’m not seriously expecting any of them to miss the July list. Reminders to graders are a matter of routine, though I don’t usually post them on the Forum.