Yorkshire vs ECF disparity

General discussions about ratings.
Alan Burke

Re: Yorkshire vs ECF disparity

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Quotes from above posts (probably selective !!!)

"I do think that the ECF should do nothing to assist these unofficial / unregistered events."
"I think the ECF is right not to grade games (even from members) in unregistered events."
"I would say that nationally things look like they are going pretty well ..."
"I don't think the ECF needs Yorkshire."
"The real question (I think) is what would the ECF gain by giving a temporary exception."
"I don't think this is what ECF supporters in Yorkshire are looking for."

Quotes where the writer only "thinks" and gives personal opinions of the situations .... are these actually what the ECF agree with ?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Well some of those quotes are rather hard to dispute. Does the ECF need Yorkshire? No. The two bodies spent a fair while as independent organisations and chess in both locations survived reasonably. Pragmatically they'd suffer a little from the loss of income, because its a good percentage of the UK population and they're hardly rolling in money right now. Still, they'd survive.

Additionally, the membership scheme does seem to be working fairly well on a national basis and I don't think many would dispute the ECF's ultimate right to decide which games to grade.

The relevant questions are the final few which are subjective and I doubt anyone knows answers right now. The eventual Yorkshire AGM as well as what happens to the membership levels in both the (currently) affiliated leagues and the independent leagues next year will tell us that. Whatever the reality/reasons behind it what happened at the Yorkshire AGM last year might leave a fair few to conclude that promises have been broken. We don't know how people will react until it works through and they see some of their games not being graded.

If there's a real threat of a split then we'll have to see if there's any chance of temporary help of some form as a split wouldn't really be desirable for anyone. Right now I don't think it's possible to work out what that could be, or even if it is needed.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm trying to avoid commenting further as I feel everything that can be said on this has no been said. I suppose the choice for the ECF is whether it chooses to view Yorkshire as a disruptive rabble that should be ignored or whether they wish to view Yorkshire as a source of untapped revenue.

The Yorkshire ECF take up HAS increased. One could quibble about misunderstandings and apparently broken promises but that's already in the past. Is the ECF going to try and keep its new Yorkshire members on board or is the whole thing going to fall apart in an eighteen page (at last count) thread about grading minutiae and membership byelaws?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:The Yorkshire ECF take up HAS increased. One could quibble about misunderstandings and apparently broken promises but that's already in the past. Is the ECF going to try and keep its new Yorkshire members on board or is the whole thing going to fall apart in an eighteen page (at last count) thread about grading minutiae and membership byelaws?
The ECF undoubtedly wants to keep Yorkshire on board. That can't be by making exceptions for Yorkshire that mean that everywhere else in the country gets a raw deal. It also can't involve a change to the national model that drives a coach and horses through the raison d'être of the Universal Membership Scheme, or the ECF funding model.

If YCA officials have some proposals for a long term way forward, that are fair to all players inside and outside of Yorkshire, the ECF would be more than happy to consider them.