Grading download file

General discussions about ratings.
John Upham

Grading download file

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am

Does anyone know if a decision has been made to not include those players listed as ungraded on ECF grading web site in the download of players from the same web site?

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Re: Grading download file

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm

John Upham wrote:Does anyone know if a decision has been made to not include those players listed as ungraded on ECF grading web site in the download of players from the same web site?
The public downloadable version has always been a mirror of the "published" grading list. Graders presumably have access to a more complete version. I wouldn't know whether such access is also available to developers of league management systems.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
The public downloadable version has always been a mirror of the "published" grading list. Graders presumably have access to a more complete version. I wouldn't know whether such access is also available to developers of league management systems.
Non-graders also have access to a more complete version via the web site but this information is not included in the download. i.e. you can view it and print it but you can't download it.

The ECF could add value to the web site by including these players in the download.

If there was a suitable API into the site then all of this would need be needed.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:38 pm

John Upham wrote: Non-graders also have access to a more complete version via the web site but this information is not included in the download. i.e. you can view it and print it but you can't download it.
That's always been the case. Initially the grading site contained the current grades and the history back to 1994. It was only ever the current and immediately prior grades that were packaged into a file that could be downloaded. Later they added data for players who had played a graded game but never had a grade. Again this wasn't put into a downloadable file. Apart from API solutions, a more traditional approach would be to make available a downloadable list of all the grading codes that had ever been allocated and who they had been allocated to.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Apart from API solutions, a more traditional approach would be to make available a downloadable list of all the grading codes that had ever been allocated and who they had been allocated to.
Yes, I agree. Perhaps I need to email Chris Majer about this? Would that be the right person?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:46 pm

John Upham wrote:Yes, I agree. Perhaps I need to email Chris Majer about this? Would that be the right person?
I would email both him and Richard Haddrell.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks David! A grader has since offered me a copy of the full download file for which I am grateful.

J.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:32 pm

John Upham wrote:Thanks David! A grader has since offered me a copy of the full download file for which I am grateful.

J.
Possibly soon to be an ex-grader unless ECF policies have changed. These always used to be provided with a statement that they were not to be given to other people.