Fee for grading checks?

General discussions about ratings.
Paul Buswell

Fee for grading checks?

Post by Paul Buswell » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:54 am

Just a random thought, and I believe the Manager of Grading reads this forum...

I have a couple of my club members querying their grades and in at least one case I can't resolve it.

Perhaps a grading surgery, ECF charging £10 to set out in full detail how the grade was arrived at? Fee refundable if an ECF error is discovered.

PB

Roger de Coverly

Re: Fee for grading checks?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:31 am

Paul Buswell wrote: Perhaps a grading surgery, ECF charging £10 to set out in full detail how the grade was arrived at? Fee refundable if an ECF error is discovered.
You ought to be able to resolve it from the data on the website, but I would agree that the way the data is presented, not least the absence of the estimates for new players and juniors makes this problematic. Marking which games were included in count backs could also be helpful.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:44 am

Roger has stolen some of my thunder on this.

Following on though, it is one of the free benefits for members that, where there is a difficulty or a mistake, then Richard Haddrell is available to sort things out. Please follow Roger's advice first before contacting Richard, please!

Where there is confusion we have been known to rewrite the help section to address the issue.

Brian
Manager ECF Grading

Trefor Owens

Post by Trefor Owens » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Although when our club made a genuine mistake and registered an ex player instead of a current one:

The ECF refused to help - the explayed (registered in error) played zero games and the new player (missed in error) played 11 graded games.

Richard to his credit agreed that it was an obvious mistake and assumed that the ECF would be helpful

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 am

Can I ask about this

Lets say Player A (64) plays against Player B (48) and player B wins.

Player B gets 114 points for grading.

Does player A get -2 points for grading?

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 am

Yes - for that game.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Paul Buswell wrote: Perhaps a grading surgery, ECF charging £10 to set out in full detail how the grade was arrived at? Fee refundable if an ECF error is discovered.
You ought to be able to resolve it from the data on the website, but I would agree that the way the data is presented, not least the absence of the estimates for new players and juniors makes this problematic. Marking which games were included in count backs could also be helpful.
I am now on the ECF website, and it now appears that there has been a change of policy and that the estimates for new players and juniors ARE now being included.