Grading Rules?

General discussions about ratings.
Mark D Podlesak

Grading Rules?

Post by Mark D Podlesak » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 pm

I was wondering what the rules are regarding this situation.
I was asked to play twice by my club captain in a Wolverhampton Summer League Div 2 which both were drawn. Then was informed that both matches were defaulted because my grade was over the limit as my captain thought last summer's grading was what counted, not the January Grade.
The Query is that both these games have gone for grading as losses to my name and lowered my grade somewhat.
Should it stand or do I have the right to get these games deleted?

Thanks for any input in advance.

John Upham

Re: Grading Rules?

Post by John Upham » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 pm

Two games of chess have taken place in a graded competition.

Assuming that they were completed by normal means then they should be submitted for grading purposes.

Eligibility issues have no bearing on the above.

The results of the games may not be valid for the competition and they could be considered void in that respect.

You are not able to have them deleted whatever the results.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:00 am

I believe the games should be graded according to the result of the actual match played.

The competition rules regarding your match being defaulted is a matter for the competition.

So I think you have the right to say to the ECF what the results were, and the results should be changed on the ECF grading database, and as a result your grade should then be changed.

In the first instance you should contact the organiser of the Wolverhampton Summer League.

You can't have the games deleted, but you can get the results changed.

(Disclaimer, I do not run the ECF, but I believe the information in this post to be true.)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:54 am

Mark D Podlesak wrote:I was wondering what the rules are regarding this situation.
I was asked to play twice by my club captain in a Wolverhampton Summer League Div 2 which both were drawn. Then was informed that both matches were defaulted because my grade was over the limit as my captain thought last summer's grading was what counted, not the January Grade.
The Query is that both these games have gone for grading as losses to my name and lowered my grade somewhat.
Should it stand or do I have the right to get these games deleted?

Thanks for any input in advance.
Mark,

Both of the games should have been submitted to the ECF as draws, and not losses.

I've just spoken to the league grader, who directed me to look at the website with the results that he used for grading:
http://www.wolverhamptonchessclub.org.u ... scores.htm

If you scroll down to your home matches v Wolverhampton and Rushall, you will see that the records secretary has left no indication at all that you drew those games, and so the grader graded the games with the results as they are produced there. The league records secretary for the summer league is in fact your club secretary, so you might want to have a word with him the next time you see him to help speed the correction process.

Anyway, the league grader is on the case, so he will investigate. Hopefully this helps.

Alex Holowczak
ECF Director of Home Chess